Pierce: Daniel Jones adds glimmer of hope, an end to the Manning Era

New York Giants quarterback Daniel Jones. (Andrew Mills, NJ Advance Media for NJ.com, TNS)

Drew Pierce is a junior journalism news major and is a columnist for The Daily News. His views do not necessarily agree with those of the newspaper. Write to Drew at dlpierce2@bsu.edu

With quarterback Eli Manning failing to produce as well as the New York Giants hoped, a roster move was made, and rookie Daniel Jones was named the starting quarterback last week against Tampa Bay. 

Jones led the Giants to an 18-point comeback to lift them over the Buccaneers, 32-31. This was New York’s first win of the season and it came in dramatic fashion as it was the second-largest comeback by a rookie quarterback. Jones passed for 336 yards and two touchdowns. Although these numbers are not spectacular, they’re good and were enough to lift New York’s spirits. 

The rookie quarterback is now 1-0 when trailing by 18 points or more. Manning is 0-44. 

Jones also adds an element to the Giants’ offense that they have not seen in many years. A quarterback that can run the football. Jones ran for 28 yards and two big touchdowns to help lift the Giants over the Bucs. This is more rushing yards than Eli Manning had in the entire 2018 season. This will add a lot of depth to the offensive play calling because Jones’ speed is on the table. 

The Giants will be home to take on the Washington Redskins on Sunday afternoon. According to lineups.com, the Redskins’ defense is ranked 31st in the league out of 32 teams. Washington is averaging 31.5 points against per game and only has two sacks on the season. They also only have one interception and no fumble recoveries. All things considered, the Washington defense is doing nothing spectacular and can allow Jones to go off. 

New York Giants quarterbacks Eli Manning (10, left) and Daniel Jones. (Andrew Mills, NJ Advance Media for NJ.com, TNS)

Allowing 291 passing yards per game, the Washington defense is providing Jones with the opportunity to have a field day and career-best performance. Although it will not take too much to beat his career best set last Sunday, this is a great opportunity to put some fire behind the program and finally get some tallies in the win column. 

Washington is also allowing 168 yards rushing per game. With star running back Saquon Barkley out with an injury, Jones will be able to step up and take advantage of the Redskins’ lack of defensive depth. 

This matchup provides the perfect opportunity for Jones to really show what he is capable of. Although he may not have to face too much adversity, there will be plenty of challenges ahead in the coming weeks. 

Despite Manning’s career being littered with accomplishments and titles, time is up. No one can play forever. At what point does an organization have to step in and put a stop the monotonous decision-making on the field? 

That time is the present, and Jones is the face of change, at least for now. 

Contact Drew Pierce with any comments at dlpierce2@bsu.edu or on Twitter at @dpierce3cc