Ball State Women's Tennis can't catch Akron in senior day loss

Sophomore Audrey Berger hits a backhand during her match against IUPUI on Feb. 19. Emma Rogers // DN

Close but not close enough.

That was how most of Ball State’s Women’s Tennis' matches went today against Akron, losing three singles matches in three sets.

“There was a ton of momentum shifts,” head coach Max Norris said. “And even as we gave away the doubles point and lost a lot of momentum there, I still felt like we had a chance.”

Seniors Audrey Berger, Peyton Gollhoffer and Sarah Swiderski’s singles matches all ended with the same result. They lost the first set, won the second, then fell in the third.

“This loss reminds me a lot about my freshman year,” Dohanics said. “We had won five 4-3 matches and then the last match before the tournament we lost to Buffalo 4-3. That loss gave us a fuel that made us play our best in the tournament than we had all year.”

Junior Rebecca Herrington won her No.3 singles in two sets, while sophomore Victoria Sec and senior Isabelle Dohanics won their matches in three.

“We couldn’t have really put ourselves in a much better place to win," Norris siad. "It’s just a matter of going the extra mile and trying to finish that."

Dohanics won her doubles match with Sarah Swiderski at the #3 doubles and her singles match at No. 5.

“Being here has been the most tremendous opportunity,” Dohanics said. “I did not expect to meet such great people. I did not expect to win championships. I did not expect to love my tennis career. It’s already been way beyond my expectations.”

The senior class has a combined winning percentage of 71% at doubles and 65% at singles.

In the other doubles matches, Berger and Herrington lost 7-5 and Gollhofer and Sec lost 6-3 at the No. 1 and No. 2 positions respectively.

“At this time of the year there’s a lot of people who don’t think it’s about growing anymore or improvement,” Norris said. “But I’ve been trying to harp on that you need to play to keep improving towards the end of the season.”

Ball State will travel to Buffalo April 26-28 for the Mid-American Conference Tournament. Seeding for the tournament will be announced Sunday. 

Contact Evan Weaver with any comments at erweaver@bsu.edu or on Twitter @evan_weaver7