LETTER TO THE EDITOR: United has the experience, platform to represent Ball State Students

<p>Jake Biller, presidential candidate for the United slate, and Andy Hoffman, campaign manager for the United slate, listen to a speaker Feb. 12, 2019 during the Student Government Association nomination convention in the Arts and Journalism building. <strong>Scott Fleener, DN</strong>&nbsp;</p>

Jake Biller, presidential candidate for the United slate, and Andy Hoffman, campaign manager for the United slate, listen to a speaker Feb. 12, 2019 during the Student Government Association nomination convention in the Arts and Journalism building. Scott Fleener, DN 

Editor’s Note: The Daily News reached out to all three slates running for election during the 2019 Student Government Association (SGA) elections and offered them the opportunity to write a Letter to the Editor addressing The Daily News’ readers. These letters were received prior to the evidence of copyright violation being submitted against Empower and Elevate. The Daily News publishes Letters to the Editor with minimal copy edits and provides a headline only if the author does not provide one. We reserve the right to withhold submitted letters depending on the content. Letters should be approximately 500 words and sent to editor@bsudailynews.com.

Student. Government. Association.

This simple term brings about a big hype for two weeks every February as the student body deliberates on what group of four individuals will be the voice for students in the university governance system.

This year, we have three slates running for executive office in SGA: Empower, Elevate and United. I cannot and will not speak for or about my worthy opponents, but rather, I wish to speak on why United is the best choice to represent Ball State students.

First, we’re the slate that has the most experience. Our slate has extensive experience in both the executive and the legislative sides of SGA. I’ve had the honor of serving as the Parliamentarian for SGA this year on top of a year of serving as a senator. Jalen Jones is the current Treasurer for SGA and is very eager to continue his work next year. Both James Schwer and Elizabeth Latham have chaired multiple caucuses and committees within SGA and have shown great leadership within the legislative process of SGA. 

Second, we have the best platform. Our platform was built, not simply out of our own ideas, but out of real face to face conversations we’ve had with students about the changes they need here on campus. This is a platform that is built to create change now, and to ensure lasting change for generations to come.

It has been a pleasure and an honor to serve the Ball State community thus far, and win, lose or draw, I give you my solemn word that we will continue to serve this University. 

Thank you for taking the time to read my humble words, and thank you to The Daily News for their impeccable coverage of the election. We hope you vote United on Feb. 25 and 26.

- Jake Biller, Presidential Candidate, United, 2019 Student Government Association Slate