Ball State Sports winter break recap

<p>Graphic by Emily Wright,DN</p>

Graphic by Emily Wright,DN

While Ball State students went on winter break for three weeks, three different Cardinal athletic teams were in action on the road and at home. Here's what the Cardinals have been up to.

Men's Basketball 

Ball State Men's Basketball (10-4,1-0 MAC) capped off its non-conference campaign with victories over Valparaiso, Howard and Delaware State. The Cardinals' win over Valparaiso set the team's record at 4-1 against Missouri Valley teams this season and the team's second straight win over the Crusaders

In the final two non-conference games against Howard and Delaware State, the Cardinals posted high scores defeating the Bison, 98-71, and the Hornets, 116-57. The Cardinals finish against Delaware State saw the team set a Worthen Arena record for points scored with Redshirt junior guard Josh Thompson leading the team with a career high 19 points. 

On Friday, the Cardinals opened up Mid-American Conference play against Toledo. In a matchup between two top 75 teams, Ball State pulled off a 79-64 win over the Rockets, limiting one of Toledo's top scorers, Nate Navigato, to just two points in the game. The win saw the Cardinals rise to No. 53 in the NCAA NET rankings. 

The Cardinals will face Eastern Michigan at home on Tuesday. 

Women's Basketball 

Ball State Women's Basketball (5-8, 0-1 MAC) also finished its non-conference schedule with three straight win. Facing Western Kentucky on the road, the Cardinals squeezed out a narrow 86-83 win over the Lady Toppers led by sophomore forward Oshlynn Brown's 25 points.

Closing out non-conference play at home, Ball State had two 90 point finishes against Tennessee State, 90-51, and Urbana, 99-62.  In the victory over Urbana, junior guard Jasmin Samz knocked in a career high 22 points alongside two steals and two pulldowns. 

Opening up conference play, the Cardinals headed north to take on Toledo. 22 Cardinals turnovers  would cost them the game, 65-58. Brown lead the charge with 15 points.

Ball State will face Bowling Green at home on Wednesday. 

Men's Volleyball 

Ball State Men's Volleyball (2-0, 0-0 MVC) opened up its season with two wins over Princeton and New Jersey Institute of Technology. 

Freshman outside attacker Kaleb Jenness led the Cardinals with 14 kills in a 3-0 sweep over Princeton on Friday. Junior outside attacker Matt Szews knocked down 12 points for Ball State while junior setter Jake Romano led in assists with 30.

24 hours later, the Cardinals edged NJIT in the fifth set for the 3-2 victory. Three aces from Szews and four kills from Jenness and senior outside hitter David Siebum would lift the Cardinals over the Highlanders in the final set, 25-17. 

The Cardinals will wrap up their three game home stand on Monday against No. 4 UC-Irvine.