4 takeaways from Ball State Men's Basketball win over Central Michigan

<p>Redshirt junior K.J. Walton drives towards the basket at John E. Worthen Arena against Ohio University Jan. 12, 2019. The Cardinals were defeated 70-52. <strong>Jacob Haberstroh,DN.</strong></p>

Redshirt junior K.J. Walton drives towards the basket at John E. Worthen Arena against Ohio University Jan. 12, 2019. The Cardinals were defeated 70-52. Jacob Haberstroh,DN.

Coming off of a slim loss to Bowling Green on Tuesday, Ball State Men's Basketball snapped at three game losing streak in a strong performance on the road to Central Michigan, 82-73. With Miami just around the corner, here are some key takeaways from the matchup. 

Walton clutch in the paint

Redshirt junior guard K.J. Walton has been known to be a literal driving force for the Cardinals. He proved that against the Chippewas laying in a career high 24 points in the win. He went 12-17 from close and would down 16 points in the second half alone. Walton played a major role in the midway point of the second after the team was down five he would score eight straight points to guide the Cardinals to the eventual win. 

Hot start

One thing that has remained consistent in the Cardinals last three losses in the team starting off slow. Against the Chippewas, the Cardinals would open up the game on a 15-4 run and would eventually hold a 41-35 at halftime. Redshirt senior guard Tayler Persons downed 15 points in the first half going 2-4 from three point range. Persons has been 4-11 from outside the arc in the Cardinals last two matchups 

Strong on the boards

Rebounding was key for Ball State in the win seeing the Cardinals pulldown 26 on the defensive side. Redshirt junior guard Tahjai Teague made up almost half of those with 10. On the offensive side, the Cardinals downed six second chance points and would lay in 18 points off of turnovers. While Central Michigan did have the edge in offensive rebounds, they weren't able to convert on those opportunities as they had three second chance points.

Strong at the line 

The free throw line has not been friendly for the Cardinals over the past three losses as they are 52-82 at the line. While they only shot nine times at the line, the Cardinals only missed one shot, shooting for 89 percent on the night. Redshirt junior guard Josh Thompson and senior center Trey Moses both shot for 100 percent going 2-2 and 3-3 at the line. Walton shot for 3-4 on the night. 

Contact Jack Williams with any comments a jgwilliams@bsu.edu or on Twitter @jackgwilliams