University Program Board chooses new films for Friday Night Filmworks

The University Program Board has listed its schedule for the spring 2019 semester. The films will be showed Friday nights at 9 p.m. in Pruis Hall.

The University Program Board (UPB) will continue Friday Night Filmworks for the spring 2019 semester on the first Friday of classes after winter break, Jan. 11. 

All movies are free for students, and guests are permitted, but they must be ages 16 and older and pay $1. Showings begin at 9 p.m. and last until the film is over. All films will be held in Pruis Hall, with the exception of Jan. 11, which will be held in the Student Center Ballroom. 

Here is the list of movies UPB chose for this semester:

“First Man”

Jan. 11

Based off the book, “First Man: The Life of Neil A. Armstrong” by James R. Hansen, this film is a biographical drama about the first manned mission to the moon. Starring Ryan Gosling as Neil Armstrong, “First Man” tells Armstrong’s journey of becoming the first man to walk on the moon during the Apollo 11 mission in 1969. 

“A Star is Born”

Jan. 18

As the fourth remake of the 1937 film, “A Star is Born,” this 2018 film stars Bradley Cooper as  Jackson Maine, a well-known musician who is struggling with a drug and alcohol addiction. After one of his concerts in California, he discovers and falls in love with Ally Campana, a waitress and singer played by Lady Gaga. 

“BlacKkKlansman”

Jan. 25

Based on a true story, the film BlacKkKlansman depicts the story of an African American police officer who infiltrates a branch of the Ku Klux Klan in Colorado. John David Washington portrays the main character Ron Stallworth, and Alec Baldwin plays Dr. Kennebrew Beauregard. 

“Instant Family”

Feb. 1

Featuring two popular actors, Mark Wahlberg and Rose Byrne, this film is based partly on director Sean Anders’ own experiences. When husband and wife Pete and Ellie Wagner decide to start a family, they become foster parents to three siblings. Throughout the movie, the Wagners learn how to handle parenthood as their family grows overnight. 

“Ralph Breaks the Internet”

Feb. 8

After six years since “Wreck-It-Ralph,” Ralph appears on the screen again with the sequel, “Ralph Breaks the Internet.” When Vanellope von Schweetz’s video game, “Sugar Rush,” breaks, Ralph and Vanellope must travel to the Internet to find the replacement piece in order to save Vanellope’s video game. 

“Creed 2”

Feb. 15

As the eighth installment of the Rocky film series, “Creed 2” stars Michael B. Jordan as Adonis Creed, the son of Apollo Creed. Thirty-three years after Ivan Drago killed Adonis’ father in a boxing match, Adonis fights Ivan Drago’s son, Viktor Drago. 

“Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald”

Feb. 22

Eddie Redmayne returns to the fictional wizarding world as Newt Scamander in “Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald,” the sequel to the 2016 movie, “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.” Albus Dumbledore recruits Newt Scamander in order to fight against dark wizard, Gellert Grindelwald, as he plans to have pure-blooded wizards rule over muggles and no-maj’s.