Fright School in Muncie

The Academy of Model Aeronautics hosted a Halloween themed event at the National Model Aviation Museum over the weekend. The third annual Fright School event allowed community members to take in the museum’s unique collection of aviation artifacts while also celebrating the upcoming holiday. 

Claire Aldenhuysen, museum educator and coordinator of the Fright School event ceased the opportunity for an indoor way to celebrate Halloween. 

“A lot of Halloween events are outdoor festivals and you won’t always be able to do them because our weather here being so unpredictable,” Aldenhuysen said. “Here it’s completely indoors, kids can have a good time without layering up and having to put on a big coat over yout great costume and that’s no fun right?” 

Aldenhuysen and the rest of the museum staff decorated the exhibits with decorations and provided a number of halloween themed crafts and games. Children who showed up in costumes were given free admission to the museum. The Academy of Model Aeronautics hosts a number of events throughout the year to help teach the community about aviation in new ways. 

To follow up Fright School, the AMA will be launching a new event partnered with the YWCA of Muncie this December. 

“We are having a Christmas Crafts at the Museum event where if a child brings a gift item that is on their wish list they get in for free,” Aldenhuysen said. “We are trying to promote a sense of community engagement but also pull children in with the idea of charity.” 

For more information about upcoming events you can search National Model Aviation Museum on Facebook.