Defending MAC champs top Ball State Women's Swim and Dive

Ball State Women’s Swim and Dive fell 176-121 to defending Mid-American Conference champion Akron Saturday. Four events that stood out for the Cardinals were the 100 backstroke, 50 butterfly and the one- and three-meter dive. 

In the 100 backstroke, sophomore Audrey Schank emerged victorious with a personal-best time of 57.02 seconds.

Freshman Makenna Bottorff paced the Cardinals to a second-place finish in the 50 butterfly. Bottorff swam a final time of 26.01 seconds and said the team competed against the Zips.

“They won the Mid-American Conference last season,” Bottorff said. “I feel like we actually stepped up, and we did our best that we can do.”

In one-meter diving, the Cardinals finished in the top two spots. Junior Rachel Bertram finished first and scored 264.08 points. Sophomore Caitlin Locante recorded a season-best score of 244.35 points and finished second. 

Bertram also went on to win the three-meter dive, defeating Akron’s Karly Crail by 15.95 points. Bertram said she was confident with her dives.

“I’m getting a lot more consistent with my dives,” Bertram said. “I was really excited to compete today. It was better than yesterday because we had competition.”

Despite the Cardinals’ loss, head coach J. Agnew said he was happy with the meet.

“I thought our women stood tall and raced hard,” Agnew said. “We were really proud of just racing the Cardinal way. Akron is a tough team.”

The next meet for the Cardinals will be at 1 p.m. on Nov. 17 when they travel to Allendale, Michigan, to face Grand Valley State.

Contact Patrick Murphy with comments at prmurphy2@bsu.edu or on Twitter @PMURPH505.