Ball State Swim and Dive teams finish in top three at Purdue

<p>Sophomore Cassidy Blackwin swims the women's 1,000-yard freestyle at the IUPUI Natatorium in a tri-meet on Jan. 5. Blackwin finished in eighth place with a time of 10:59.37. <strong>Patrick Murphy, DN</strong></p>

Sophomore Cassidy Blackwin swims the women's 1,000-yard freestyle at the IUPUI Natatorium in a tri-meet on Jan. 5. Blackwin finished in eighth place with a time of 10:59.37. Patrick Murphy, DN

Both the Ball State Women’s and Men’s Swim & Dive finished in the top 3 out of six teams at Indiana Intercollegiate Invite on Saturday. The women’s team finished second, behind Purdue, while the men’s were third behind Purdue and Evansville.

Three athletes that stood out from the meet were sophomores Audrey Schank, Sean Wolfe and junior Ben Andrew. Schank recorded a personal best time in the 200-yard Individual Medley with a fifth place. 

“I was pretty impressed,” Schank said. “I could have gone out a little faster, but I was kind of nervous for swimming it.”

Andrew finished in the top 10 for the 50-yard freestyle. He finished sixth with a time of 21.40 seconds, which was 0.55 second off of his personal best from last season. Agnew said a meet like this will help his team in the long run. 

“I would say a meet like this does a lot to help evaluate where we are as a team,” Agnew said. “I think we need to find a little more speed over the next couple of weeks.”  

On the boards, Wolfe finished in third on three-meter diving. He scored 256.95 points which is the highest he has scored last season. Wolfe said he’s taking that finish with a grain of salt.

“It’s one of our first meets and we have a bunch more,” Wolfe said. “It was pretty cool but we still have so much to work on.” 

The Cardinals will be back in action in two weeks. The women’s team faces off against Bowling Green on Oct. 26 in Bowling Green, Ohio. 

Contact Patrick Murphy with any comments at prmurphy2@bsu.edu or on Twitter @PMURPH505