Strong freshmen presence not enough as Ball State Women's Swim and Dive takes third in Ohio

<p>Senior Andrea Richter swims the 200-yard butterfly during the meet against Buffalo Jan. 27 at Lewellen Pool. Richter placed fourth. <strong>Kaiti Sullivan, DN</strong></p>

Senior Andrea Richter swims the 200-yard butterfly during the meet against Buffalo Jan. 27 at Lewellen Pool. Richter placed fourth. Kaiti Sullivan, DN

The Ball State’s Women's Swimming and Dive team fell to Bowling Green 206-94 in Bowling Green, Ohio. The Cardinals competed in their second meet of the season after having three top finishes at the Indiana Intercollegiate at Purdue two weeks ago.

The Cardinals’ performance was topped off as freshman Katie Walker who posted a career best time of 10:35.56 in the1000-meter freestyle and would win the event. Walker followed this performance with a runner-up finish in the 500 freestyle with a time of 5:14.02. Freshman Abbie McCarter also claimed a top spot as she won the 100-meter breaststroke with a time of 1:05.45. McCarter also finished with a personal best 2:27.10 in the 200-meter breaststroke. 

“I thought that the meet went pretty well and that we gave our best effort as a team,” McCarter said. “I am so proud of my teammates and can’t wait to take on two more teams next weekend…”

Although the team score was not very high, a few athletes were able to piece together a handful second-place finishes. Sophomore Aubrey Schank finished second in both the 100 and 200-meter backstroke events. Junior Sophie Bader finished second in the 200-meter butterfly and freshman Makenna Bottorff was second in the 100-meter butterfly. 

For the diving portion of the meet, junior Rachel Bertram was able to record a NCAA zone cut with a score of 290.48 on the three meter. This score helped her to a second-place finish. 

"It was a hard-fought meet tonight. We took a few punches early, but I like how the team responded and kept fighting till the end," head Coach Jeremy Agnew said “Our freshmen made a huge impact for the team.”

As a team, the Cardinals ended the night with a third-place finish in the 400-meter freestyle relay with a time of 3:39.51. 

The Cardinals will be back in action next week as they take on Eastern Illinois on Saturday, Nov. 2 for the team’s home opener. On the next day, the team will be back in action against Akron at home. 

With any comments contact Drew Pierce at dlpierce@bsu.edu or on Twitter @dlpierce3cc