Field Hockey shut out by Kent State

<p>Ball State field hockey was started in 1975. Since its inception, it has seen 18 All-American selections. <strong>Breanna Daugherty, DN</strong></p>

Ball State field hockey was started in 1975. Since its inception, it has seen 18 All-American selections. Breanna Daugherty, DN

Ball State Field Hockey (2-11, 2-2 MAC) lost on the road to the Kent State  Flashes (5-9, 3-1 MAC) by a score of 4-0. 

Four first half goals on eight shots by the Golden Flashes put the Cardinals in a hole early. Helen Harper, Jessica Apelt, Emma Bressler, and Hailie Balachick scored the goals for the Golden Flashes, with Bressler’s connecting at the last second off a corner shot.

“I think we came out pretty slow,”  head coach Stephanie Bernthal said. “Kent was ready to go. We just got on our heels at the beginning of the game and it spiraled from there.”

The Golden Flashes had 10 more shots in the second but could not connect on any of them. The Cardinals had six shots total, but could not find the back of the net. Redshirt junior forward Michelle Shampton and senior back Anya Eicher each had two shots for the Cardinals, while junior back Hilary Scott and sophomore forward Abby Ferenczy each had one. Sophomore goalkeeper Grace Chavez accumulated 10 saves in the loss.

“I think in the second half we got better with our communication after we realized we dug ourselves into a hole,” Chavez said. “We played as a different unit in the second half and we were more proactive.”

Entering the game tied for second in the MAC, the loss can cause ripples in the Cardinals’ season, with the MAC tournament just weeks away. The Cardinals have not defeated the Golden Flashes since 2006, and that loss streak continues. 

“It was a disappointing game,” Chavez said. “I feel as the season is progressing we are getting better, today was just a setback.”

The Cardinal road trip concludes on Sunday, Oct. 14 when they visit No. 7 Michigan at 1 p.m.

Contact Gavin Crafton with any comments at gncrafton@bsu.edu or on Twitter @GavinCrafton