Downtown First Thursday event takes on spooky theme for October

Spangler Farms in Yorktown is the pumpkin sponsor for the Pumpkin Trail & Glow at the Muncie Artswalk on Thursday. The Farm is donating 100 pumpkins to DWNTWN Muncie for the First Thursday event. Bailey Shelton,DN

As the sun sets Oct. 4, downtown Muncie will come to life with the glowing designs of carved pumpkins as community members and artists take to the streets for a monthly event with a seasonal twist. 

“Pumpkin Trail and Glow,” the title of October’s First Thursday event, will feature a pumpkin carving contest and guide community members toward Canan Commons for judging, pumpkin painting and more. 

Participants of the carving contest will drop off their pumpkin creations between 5 and 7 p.m., and judges will crown the winning jack-o-lanterns by 8 p.m.

Kim Spangler, an owner of Spangler Farms, said the family-operated farm will donate 100 pumpkins and bails of hay for the event. She also said the donation is just one way the business gives back to the community. 

“We aren’t located on a main road, so we’re always grateful that the community keeps letting people know that we’re out here,” Spangler said. “We’re happy to give back because of that.” 

As with every First Thursday event, the local art community will also host ArtsWalk, live musical performances and YART, a biannual arts yard sale that has previously featured 150 regional artists, alongside the carving contest. 

YART director Moth Danner said her event is one of many that coincide with ArtsWalk to bring local artists together by helping them make connections and converse with those buying their art. 

Danner also said her event aims to make art affordable and accessible to average community members. 

“I hold it during ArtsWalk because that’s where all of the ‘Munsonians’ who are into art go,” Danner said.  

Alongside all of the featured art, Prime Trust will host a Soup Crawl to benefit Second Harvest Food Bank. Spangler Farms will help decorate the corner of High and Main Streets for the event. 

Pre-registration for the pumpkin carving contest is open until Oct. 1. Any participants that enter after Oct. 1 will not be eligible for prizes but can still enter their pumpkins for display.

Contact Bailey Shelton with comments at bashelton@bsu.edu.