Women’s golf finishes eighth in Iowa

<p>Freshman Dylann Armstrong lines up a putt Sept. 17, 2018, at the Players Club at Woodland Trails in Yorktown, Indiana, during the Cardinal Classic golf tournament. The Cardinal Classic is a two-day event with 36 holes played the first day and 18 played the second day. Eric Pritchett,DN</p>

Freshman Dylann Armstrong lines up a putt Sept. 17, 2018, at the Players Club at Woodland Trails in Yorktown, Indiana, during the Cardinal Classic golf tournament. The Cardinal Classic is a two-day event with 36 holes played the first day and 18 played the second day. Eric Pritchett,DN

Ball State Women’s Golf struggled at the Diane Thomason Invitational in Iowa as the team finished in eighth place out of nine teams. 

After the first day of competition Saturday, the Cardinals struggled to keep scores low. With scores of 320 and 332 after two rounds, they sat in eighth after 36 holes of tournament play. 

The leading force for the Cardinals on Saturday was freshman Morgan Lewis (+14). This placed Lewis in a tie for 18th place overall on day one. Also contributing to the Cardinals’ score were sophomore Emily Knouff (+19), sophomore Liz Kim (+20) and freshman Hadley Moritz (+23). 

The two rounds on Saturday proved to be a fight against the elements as the cold weather and rain challenged the competitors.

“It was definitely not our ideal situation,” Kim said. “Considering the practice round was the worst out of all of the days anyway, it was good preparation for the tournament days.” 

On day two, the Cardinals were led by Kim (+23). Kim ended up placing 27th overall in the tournament. Also helping the Cardinals were Lewis (+27), Knouff (+25) and Moritz (+39). The team put together a total score of 978 and finished 114-over-par for the total 52 holes. 

Junior Manon Tounalom was unable to participate in the tournament. The former Ball State Freshman of the Year’s absence took its toll on the young team. 

“[Tounalom] was not able to travel this weekend because of administrative issues, and she is the leader on this team,” assistant coach Marie Donnici said. “She is an exceptionally hard working student who has a bright future ahead of her.” 

Dominating the field was host school Iowa (+34). Iowa was followed by North Dakota State (+56) and Northern Iowa (+69). The Hawkeyes also had five players place within the top 10 on the individual leaderboard. 

The Cardinals will be back on the road in two weeks when they travel to Noblesville, Indiana for the Fall Preview hosted by Central Michigan. 

Contact Drew Pierce with comments at dlpierce@bsu.edu or on Twitter @dpierce3cc.