Men's Golf kicks off season at Golfweek Conference Challenge

<p>Timothy Wiseman, member of the men's golf team, finished up his junior year at Ball State. He qualified for the 118th U.S Open, making him the first Cardinal to be in the tournament as a college student. <strong>Kaiti Sullivan, DN File</strong></p>

Timothy Wiseman, member of the men's golf team, finished up his junior year at Ball State. He qualified for the 118th U.S Open, making him the first Cardinal to be in the tournament as a college student. Kaiti Sullivan, DN File

After weeks of qualifying, Ball State Men’s Golf will officially begin its regular season on Sunday at the Golfweek Conference Challenge.

The tournament will feature 15 schools from across the country, most notably No. 24 UCLA,. The Cardinals are the lone Mid-American Conference team to participate in the tournament. This is one of five tournaments the Cardinals will take part in throughout the fall half of their regular season. 

Head coach Mike Fleck is very optimistic heading into the tournament, hoping to gain a fresh start for both him and his players.. 

“It’s a great opportunity for us to see some teams that we don’t typically see here in the Midwest,” Fleck said. “It’s gonna be a really competitive field and hopefully our guys can take some challenges and play some good golf.” 

The tournament will hold special meaning for Redshirt sophomore Keegan Bronnenberg. Bronnenberg, a transfer who practiced with the team last season, but did not compete in any tournaments. This Sunday will be his debut with the Cardinals. 

“College golf isn’t something I’ve been able to experience as much as I thought I would,” Bronnenberg said. “The tournament is kind of a new beginning and starts a new chapter for me.” 

With this being the first invitational of the season, the Cardinals are looking to start off the season on a high note. 

“I just want to get a win,” Sophomore C.J. Jones said. “The prospect of going out and traveling is fun but I’m hoping to stay competitive and get a good three days in,” 

The tournament will take place Sunday through Tuesday in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. Each day will consist of 18 holes, with tee times starting at 10:30 a.m. ET Sunday and Monday and a shotgun start Tuesday at 10:00 a.m. ET. 

Contact Connor Smith with any comments cnsmith@bsu.edu