Soccer looks to stay undefeated versus Eastern Kentucky

Junior forward Evie Stepaniak attempts to move the ball down the field in the game against Northern Illinois on Oct. 8 at the Briner Sports Complex. Breanna Daugherty, DN File

Starting off the season with a 2-1 win over Purdue Fort Wayne, Ball State Soccer (1-0, 0-0 MAC) is looking to continue their winning ways against Eastern Kentucky (1-1, 0-0 OVC). 

“I think the two competitions that we’ve had have kind of exposed some areas we need to work on,” head coach Craig Roberts said. “I think EKU will be a start to a good testing weekend for us, and I think it will be excited how we play against a competitive and well-organized team.”

In the early season, the Cardinals are seeing contribution from both freshman and returners. Freshmen Tatiana Mason netted her first career goal vs. Purdue Fort Wayne. 

“We have got a lot of new freshmen that are waiting to discover themselves and waiting to get out there,” Roberts said. “They are well verse players with a lot of experience, but obviously you have got a lot of players who have been in three MAC Championships competing over the years.”

The Cardinals have also seen some success on offense early on putting ten shots on goal against the Mastodons. According to Roberts, while the team has no problem getting the ball on net, it’s getting the ball in back of the net that has been an issue. 

“We have been creating opportunities, but ultimately, we need to put the ball in the back of the net,” Roberts said. “I am proud of our offense for creating those chances, but at the end of the day if you create those chances and can’t finish. We need to be mature, we need to be composed and we need to finish those chances we are creating.”

On the other side of the field, the Colonels have a 3-1 win over Eastern Tennessee State and a 2-1 loss to Xavier. Junior Erin Torrance leads the team in goals early on in the season finding the back of the net twice in two matches,  

The Cardinals face off against the Colonels on Friday at 2 p.m. at EKU Field.