7 free activities to try this summer

<p><strong>AP Photo</strong></p>

AP Photo

Now that classes are over, students may find themselves trading in textbooks and a student ID for a swimsuit and a pool pass.

And while summer is a time for trying new things, there are many different ways to make memories without breaking the bank. 

Here’s a list of seven free activities to help cure summer boredom:  

Go for a walking tour

Most large cities, like Indianapolis, have walking tours that feature local architecture, museums and more. If you’re looking to stay in Muncie, create your own. Find a couple destinations that interest you and get outside. And yes, restaurants totally count as an interesting location. 

Check the community calendar

MuncieCalendar.com lists all the upcoming events in the area. More often than not, these events are completely free. There are concerts, cooking classes and museum days. Keep checking back to find what interests you. 

Borrow a kayak or canoe 

There are a variety of waterways to explore in Indiana. Find a friend with a flotation device and ask to borrow it for a day. What better to gain a new perspective on Indiana? 

Go for a picnic

So this one isn’t exactly free, but it doesn’t have to be anything fancy. Grab those leftover snacks and an old blanket and enjoy nature in your favorite park. 

Play some sports

When’s the last time you played a game of pick-up anything? Grab some friends, a ball or a racket and hit the courts. Muncie even has an 18-hole disc golf course in McCulloch Park. Grab a Frisbee and try it out. Just don’t forget to bring some water. 

Check out the stars

Is there anything better than laying out on a cool night and checking out the stars above? Find a clear night, grab a blanket and your best friend and start gazing. There are even apps that help you figure out just what constellations and planets you may be looking at. 

Play some board games

If you’re stuck inside due to rain or intense heat, try channeling your inner child. Bust out those old games that haven’t seen the light of day since you were a kid. Sure, you may need to blow some dust off or replace a game piece with a penny, but this is a fun way to pass the day. 

Contact Brynn Mechem with comments at bamechem@bsu.edu or on Twitter @BrynnMechem.