Alyssa Rothwell named MAC West Pitcher of the Week

<p>Sophomore Alyssa Rothwell throws a strike during the Ball State verses Kent State game April 6 at the Softball Fields in First Merchants Ballpark Complex. <strong>Carlee Ellison, DN</strong></p>

Sophomore Alyssa Rothwell throws a strike during the Ball State verses Kent State game April 6 at the Softball Fields in First Merchants Ballpark Complex. Carlee Ellison, DN

For the first time in her career, Ball State softball player Alyssa Rothwell has been named MAC West Pitcher of the Week.

This comes after the sophomore's performance this past weekend against Central Michigan. Rothwell picked up a win and a save in Saturday’s doubleheader and allowed no hits or runs, with three strikeouts in the Cardinals 2-1 victory. She would later grab her 11th career save in game two, only allowing one hit in the final inning of the game.

"Alyssa continues to do a tremendous job in the closer role," head coach Megan  Ciolli Bartlet said in a press release. "Coach Johnson has done a great job getting her both mentally and  physically prepared to throw in big-time situations, and she continues to show she is up to the challenge. We are excited to see what she has in store for not only the rest of this season, but for the second half of her Cardinal career as well."

When looking at the Mid-American Conference, Rothwell ranks second with the fewest home runs allowed (9) and first in fewest runs allowed (21), hits allowed (45) and earned runs allowed (16). 

Rothwell becomes the fifth Cardinal to be named MAC West Player/Pitcher of the Week as senior Maddy Labrador, junior Aeshia Miles and sophomores Kennedy Wynn and Haley Dominique have held the honor this season. Miles has won the award three times this  season. 

Ball State softball will be in action on Friday as they take on Eastern Michigan in Yipsilanti. 

Contact Jack Williams with comments at jgwilliams@bsu.edu or on Twitter at @JackWilliamsBSU.