Ball State women's basketball to host Middle Tennessee State in WNIT opener

<p>Head coach Brady Sallee talks to women's basketball team members during a timeout during the game against Toledo Feb. 24 at Worthen Arena. <strong>Breanna Daugherty, DN</strong></p>

Head coach Brady Sallee talks to women's basketball team members during a timeout during the game against Toledo Feb. 24 at Worthen Arena. Breanna Daugherty, DN

After missing out on the NCAA Tournament, the Ball State women's basketball team has accepted a bid to the WNIT, and will host Middle Tennessee State on Thursday, with the time yet to be announced.

The Cardinals went 24-6 in the regular season and had marquee wins over Purdue, Vanderbilt, Butler and Western Kentucky in non-conference play.

At multiple points, the team received votes in both the AP and Coaches' polls. This is Ball State's sixth straight WNIT bid.

Related: Carmen Grande adds to accomplished season with First Team Academic All-America Selection

Last season, Ball State lost to Indiana in the first round of the tournament. The Cardinals could play the Hoosiers again in the Round of 16. 

Ball State is one of three MAC schools to get an invite to the tournament, as Toledo and Miami also received bids.

Central Michigan and Buffalo both made the NCAA Tournament out of the conference.

The Lady Raiders finished the regular season at 18-12, posting a 10-6 mark in the Conference USA to finish third in the conference.

The winner of the game will play the winner of IUPUI and Purdue. You can fill out your own WNIT bracket here.

Contact Sam Barloga with comments at sabarloga@bsu.edu or on Twitter @SamBarloga.