William Baker wins MAC Player of the Week after Shipyard Classic performance

<p><strong>Photo provided, Ball State Athletics</strong></p>

Photo provided, Ball State Athletics

After spending the first two years of his collegiate career at Fort Scott Community College in Fort Scott, Kansas, junior outfielder William Baker started his inaugural season at Ball State with a bang.

Baker finished the weekend with a solid .625 batting average, which led the team. Baker recorded multiple hits in three of the team's four outings, including a 4-for-5 performance at the plate in the opener against UMass Lowell, which included a double and a run scored in the victory.

In the team's rematch with UMass Lowell, Baker stepped up in the clutch with a two-out RBI in the bottom of the ninth inning to send the game into extra innings. The Cardinals would eventually come away with a 4-3 victory in the 10th inning. Baker finished the game a perfect 3-for-3 at the plate and added a pair of stolen bases.

Overall, Baker finished his first weekend as a Cardinal with two RBIs, two doubles, two runs scored and 10 hits on 16 at-bats.

For his efforts, Baker was named the Mid-American Conference Player of the Week.

The Cardinals finished the weekend with a 2-2 record, alternating wins and losses in their four outings.

Ball State will be back in action this weekend in the Allstate Sugar Bowl Baseball Classic in New Orleans. The opening game against the New Orleans Privateers is scheduled to start on Friday at 7:30 p.m.

Contact the sports section with comments at sports@bsudailynews.com or on Twitter @dn_sports.