New grocery store set to replace Marsh

Pay Less' hours are Monday - Sunday 6 a.m. - Midnight

A new Pay Less is coming to Muncie, and it’s not the shoe store. 

This Pay Less is a supermarket chain that is a subsidiary of Kroger. The new store will be located at 1500 W. McGalliard Road where Marsh used to be. Matt Jones was the former store manager of Marsh and will now be the new manager of Pay Less. 

“I was loyal to the brand but more loyal to the people and we are able to bring a majority of our people back here,” Jones said. “I worked for Marsh for 22 years.” 

This new store will have some new features that the Marsh store did not have. Each register has a touch screen to make an easier checkout process, each aisle of the store is two feet wider, and Pay Less said people will notice another difference.

“The target prices will be lower, so the value of groceries will be the most dramatic change,” said Eric Halvorson, the Kroger spokesperson. 

After the Marsh stores closed, parts of Muncie were experiencing a food desert and Mayor Dennis Tyler is looking forward to seeing what opportunities this new store brings to the community. 

“I’m excited, with the Marsh's moving the way they did, we had a number of food deserts, and Kroger coming in is helping with that,” Tyler said. 

Although Pay Less already has roughly 100 associates, the store is still looking for between 20 and 25 more people to join the team. 

Pay Less will open Thursday at 8 a.m. and the first people in line will receive a free gift. 

A second  Pay Less supermarket store will open in the former Marsh store on Tillotson Avenue in March.