Heintschel named one of five Senior CLASS Award First Team Members

<p>Senior goalkeeper Alyssa Heintschel yells to her teammates before putting the ball back into play against Northern Illinois on Oct. 8 at the Briner Sports Complex. Heintschel is one of five members of the 2017 Senior CLASS Award First Team for women’s soccer. Breanna Daugherty, DN File</p>

Senior goalkeeper Alyssa Heintschel yells to her teammates before putting the ball back into play against Northern Illinois on Oct. 8 at the Briner Sports Complex. Heintschel is one of five members of the 2017 Senior CLASS Award First Team for women’s soccer. Breanna Daugherty, DN File

Ball State soccer goalkeeper Alyssa Heintschel was named one of five members of the 2017 Senior CLASS Award First Team for women’s soccer after a nationwide vote.

Heintschel lead the fan voting portion of the selection process when polls closed. Fan voting accounted for one third of the total balloting, while the other two thirds were determined by NCAA Division I coaches and national media members.

The Senior CLASS award nominates student-athletes who have excelled in four areas: community, classroom, character and competition.

Heintschel was selected as one of 30 nominees in September before later being named one of 10 finalists for the award.

Heintschel fits that bill, having racked up accolades, both on the field and academically, throughout her career. She broke the record for wins by a Ball State goalkeeper with 35 and is first in career goals against average with 0.77, which is also good for third in Mid-American Conference history. Academically, she is a two-time All-Mac First Team member who maintains a perfect 4.0 GPA as a chemistry, pre-med major. She has been named to the Academic All-District Team for three consecutive years and is currently an Academic All-America candidate.

Heintschel is a teaching assistant on campus, as well as a tutor in her hometown of Oregon, Ohio, and sometimes volunteers as an instructor for soccer camps. She prides herself in exceeding expectations both academically and on the field.

“I feel like I have a responsibility to maintain high standards in the classroom, in terms of character off the field and on the field,” Heintschel said in October after her nomination. “I know that the younger girls look up to me and I know that I’m kind of a role model for them so I just want to make sure that I’m always doing my best, giving 100 percent and making sure that I’m taking care of things in all areas so that they have a good role model to look up to.”

Those accompanying Heintschel on the 2017 Senior CLASS Award First Team include Duke’s Imani Dorsey, DePaul’s Alexa Ben, Charlotte’s Martha Thomas and Stanford’s Andi Sullivan, this year’s winner of the Senior CLASS Award.

Contact Nate Fields with comments at nefields@bsu.edu