Student Honors Council to host Haunted House

The Honors House is holding their annual haunted house. FEAR Haunted House Facebook, Photo Courtesy

On Halloween night, Ball State students have the chance to experience a “haunted house they won’t ever forget” at the third annual haunted house created by the Student Honors Council.

The attraction will be located at the Edmund F. and Virginia B. Ball Honors House.

The house’s theme this year, “F.E.A.R.: Face Everything And Run,” is based off of common fears.

“After seeing what everyone is making, I told my members that no one could pay me enough money to go through it,” said Jamie Brimbury, vice president of SHC.

The attraction is free and doors open at 8 p.m., but before going through the house, each participant must  sign a waiver in case of emergency. The line will be cut off at 10:30 p.m. to ensure everyone gets to go through.

Last year the line went all the way down the sidewalk. Maren Orchard, president of SHC, said students who are interested in attending should try to arrive early.

“The great thing about the house is that it flows together so it allows us to constantly move people through,” Orchard said. “So people won’t be standing outside forever or anything like that.”

Valerie Weingart, former president of SHC and the creator of the haunted house, said the goal of the house was to be an “outreach” to the whole student body.

“The first year we did it, it was only for honors college students and we had over 300 people come,” Weingart said. “After that, we decided we wanted everyone on campus to have the chance to see the house and have fun with us.”

The haunted house goes through both the first and second floors and through various hallways and doors.

“I think what adds to it is that a lot of students have never been through the house, so it adds a sense of mystery to it because they don’t know what to expect,” Orchard said.

Last year the house had over 500 people go through. Kimberly Zinn, a member of the council, was one of them.

“I’d never been to a haunted house, and they take you through it and it was actually pretty scary,” Zinn said. “It’s very dark, so it’s confusing, and you have no idea what’s going on until you’re running for the door to leave.” 

Orchard said the house takes a lot of work on a budget and it’s all done by members of the council.

“We have the best members in the world. Our members are really excited to do this and ready to host and scare everyone who comes through the door,” Orchard said.

After a high turnout last year, Orchard and the council said this year will be “the biggest one yet” and people should “come check it out.”

“I honestly don’t know how scary it’s going to be,” Orchard said. “All I’m saying is if you’re scared of clowns or anything like that, you’re in for something.”

Contact Justice Amick with comments at jramick@bsu.edu