Social Media Renovation Week teaches online skills

Ball State, Photo Provided
Ball State, Photo Provided

Social Media Renovation Week courses:

• Oct. 16 Logins and Notifications
  • Oct. 17 Privacy
  • Oct. 18 Friends and Followers
  • Oct. 19 What Marketers Want
  • Oct. 20 Your Online Image

You can sign up for the online program here.

Social Media Renovation Week is being hosted by the Division of Online and Distance Education the same week as Homecoming to send students an important message about social media. 

The week will begin with keynote speaker C.L. Lindsay III, attorney and founder of the Coalition for Student & Academic Rights (CO-STAR). Throughout the week, students can take advantage of information on how employers look at social media during a time where media usage typically increases, said Sarah Aldridge, instructional designer for iLearn.

“Homecoming week is a big danger zone for students and their social media presence since there are a lot of activities going on,” Aldridge said. “Social Media Renovation Week is going to give the students something positive to do while enjoying the homecoming week of events.”

In preparation for the event, pre-week events were held by the Career Center, Office of Student Rights, Student Affairs and the University Police Department to teach students their rights at Ball State and how social media impacts employment.

Lindsay’s speech, "Computing and the Law: Staying Legal Online," will be held at 7:30 p.m. Oct. 16 in Pruis Hall. He will discuss many topics on social media including online rights, social media presence and how social media users are responsible for what they post. 

Rachel Wolfson, office manager for Bass/Schuler Entertainment, said Lindsay has been giving speeches for the company since 2005 and every time she attends a speech she learns something new.

“Everything that C.L. has to offer to students is pertinent information,” Wolfson said. “He is very passionate about what he does and really wants to help students become aware of their social media footprint.”

After Lindsay’s speech, online interactive courses will be available with the intention of students taking one each day.

“Throughout the week there is an online component that will allow students to clean up their social media pages,” said Angela Nickoli, strategic learning consultant for iLearn. “Many employers are checking your social media pages to see what kind of person they are looking to hire so what you post will determine if you receive a job offer or not.”

Students can register for the online courses by using their phones to scan QR codes, which can be found at Monday's event. Those who sign up will receive notifications to remind them to complete the courses and take advantage of all the week has to offer. 

Contact Jake Thomas with comments at jrthomas2@bsu.edu.