Delaware County sectional semi-final preview

Sectional games to watch this week (Oct. 27)

Muncie Central (1-8) at New Palestine (9-0) – 7 p.m. at New Palestine

Wes-Del (5-5) vs. Sheridan (8-2) – 7 p.m. at Wes-Del

Monroe Central (8-1) vs. Clinton Prarie (5-5) – 7 p.m. at Monroe Central

New Castle (5-4) vs. Mooresville (2-8) – 7 p.m. at New Castle

Week one of the 2017 IHSAA football tournament is done and hosts Josh Shelton and Robby General look ahead to sectional semi-finals week for the remaining Delaware County schools. 

Four of the six teams will be in action including Wes-Del, New Castle, Monroe Central and Muncie Central. See more coverage of high school sports by Da sCoop's staff via ballstatedaily.com.

Muncie Central (1-8) at New Palestine (9-0)

A tough season for the Bearcats seems to just be getting tougher as it prepares to play the undefeated New Palestine Dragons this week.

Muncie Central, who has not won a game since week four of the regular season, is coming off a bye week after finishing the season with five straight losses.

To make matters worse, Muncie Central will be on the road against New Palestine in the sectional semi-final matchup. This season, New Palestine is outscoring opponents 447 to 94, more than tripling Muncie Central's point total of 138.

Monroe Central (9-1) vs. Clinton Prairie (5-5)

After losing in the last week of the regular season, Monroe Central bounce back in a big way, beating Clinton Central 57-6.

The Golden Bears totaled six touchdowns on the ground and over 300 rushing yard despite none of its rushers having more than five carries. 

Expect to see more of the same ground attack from the Golden Bears this week as it prepares for the sectional semi-final matchup.

New Castle (6-4) vs. Mooresville (2-8)

It was a chippy game, with 26 total penalties, but New Castle continued its historic season with a 41-0 win over Richmond last week.

In the past six quarters of football, the Trojans defense has been near unstoppable, giving up zero points, a point head coach Kyle York mentioned in his interview this week.

No pressure has helped New Castle as well. After 32 years without a winning season, York said that his players are just having fun playing football in October.

With a solid defense and quarterback Niah Williamson continuing to be one of the best passers in the state of Indiana, it's going to be hard to stop this New Castle team en route of a sectional title.

Wes-Del (5-5) vs. Sheridan (8-2)

Wes-Del continued its winning ways last week in front of its home crowd, knocking off Union City 24-8 at home.

The win marked four straight for Wes-Del, but it'll have a tough task this weekend trying to eliminate Sheridan from the playoff bracket.

Sheridan ranks sixth in class 1A according to maxpreps.com, and it handled Tri-Central well last week, winning 50-8. For Wes-Del to win, it'll have to stop running back Joe Callahan who averages 149 rushing yards per game in the Blackhawks option-style of play.

At home, however, Wes-Del has an advantage, losing just one game at home all season.

Watch this week's full preview here: