Muncie has a mission to help the homeless, provide aid

<p>Muncie Mission is a faith-based organization that has provided care and counseling to the homeless for over 80 years. <strong>Bre Daugherty, DN File</strong></p>

Muncie Mission is a faith-based organization that has provided care and counseling to the homeless for over 80 years. Bre Daugherty, DN File

Homelessness is an issue that can be found across the United States, and Muncie is no exception. Those who are homeless in Muncie, however, have organizations like the Muncie Mission to turn to when they are in need of help.

Muncie Mission is a faith-based organization that has provided care and counseling to the homeless for over 80 years.

Jesse Dudley, Ball State alumna and volunteer coordinator for the Muncie Mission, said that most people’s vision of a homeless person living out of a cardboard box isn’t always accurate.

“It could be that someone has been couch surfing for a few months and no longer has a place to live or someone could be coming from jail and have nowhere else to go,” Dudley said.

The organization has provided over 9,000 items of clothing, 1,000 pairs of shoes, and 40,000 meals as of June of 2017.

The organization also has a family services program.

“This program is set up for low-income or no-income individuals and families living in Delaware and Blackford Counties,” Marie Williams, director of family services, said. “We provide assistance once a month with non-perishable food items, some produce, basic hygiene items, baby clothing and diapers as available. Clothing and shoes are available once each 90 days.” 

The shelter is always seeking volunteers to help with various services that are offered. Volunteers can do anything from stocking shelves to chopping vegetables in the kitchen. 

Dudley, who was an intern at the mission while studying at Ball State, said people who come volunteer, especially college students, are more than just volunteers.

“College students are very important because they are the next generation that will be taking over,” Dudley said. “It is very important for them to have a heart for what we do so that we are able to continue helping those in need in East Central Indiana.”

Dudley and Williams both said that working and volunteering at the Muncie Mission has impacted them in more ways than just work experience and volunteer hours.

“I didn’t realize how much need there was until I started interning here and saw the need first hand,” Dudley stated. “There are people here who don’t have a place to sleep at night or aren’t able to afford food to eat or clothing for their children. Whatever situation it is, it’s very real and when you come to the mission, the need is very clear and that is impactful.”  

Williams added that working at the Muncie Mission makes her and many of the volunteers  feel like they are making a positive difference in the community.