MAC football rundown: Week 3

<p>As the 12 Mid-American Conference football programs move through their respected 2017-18 campaigns, The Daily News will give a recap and preview every week, running through the teams' previous opponents and looking ahead to the following week. <strong>MAC, Photo Provided</strong></p>

As the 12 Mid-American Conference football programs move through their respected 2017-18 campaigns, The Daily News will give a recap and preview every week, running through the teams' previous opponents and looking ahead to the following week. MAC, Photo Provided

Each week throughout the football season, The Daily News runs through the Mid-American Conference, recapping the previous week and looking ahead to this week’s games.

All but one Mid-American Conference West Division team have winning records after week three of the regular season. The same, however, cannot be said about the East Division where only Ohio maintains a winning record entering week four.

Still, it was an exciting week in the MAC with the last quarter settling several of the conferences games this week. 

Here’s the MAC Rundown for week three of the college football season: 

Akron Zips 

Season record: 1-2, 0-0 MAC
Week 3 matchup: Iowa State (L, 41-13)
Week 4 matchup: Troy (2-1)

It was all Iowa State against Akron in week three. After allowing the Zips to come within six points at halftime, the Cyclones scored three second half touchdowns on their way to victory.

Akron heads to Alabama this week to play a Troy team that is coming off a 27-24 win against New Mexico State. The Trojans are 15.5 point favorites and are averaging 434 offensive yards per game while allowing just 301.3.

Ball State 

Season record: 2-1, 0-0 MAC
Week 3 matchup: Tennessee Tech (W, 28-13)
Week 4 matchup: Western Kentucky (1-2)

Ball State junior quarterback Riley Neal threw for three touchdown passes en route to the Cardinals second-straight home win. After a Tennessee Tech touchdown in the second quarter, Ball State went on to put up 466 yards of offense on the way to a win.

Ball State travels to Bowling Green, Kentucky this week to take on Western Kentucky. The Hilltoppers seem to be an even opponent coming off of a last second field goal loss to Louisiana Tech.

Bowling Green 

Season record: 0-3, 0-0 MAC
Week 3 matchup: Northwestern (L, 49-7)
Week 4 matchup: Middle Tennessee (1-2) 

Bowling Green continued its losing ways against Big Ten opponent Northwestern this week. After the Falcons tied the game up late in the first quarter, the Wildcats took complete control with junior quarterback Clayton Thorson finishing with 370 yards and two touchdown passes. 

Traveling to Murfreesboro, Tennessee this week, Bowling Green are once again the underdogs as it prepares to take on Middle Tennessee. The Blue Raiders just have one win on the season, coming in 30-23 fashion against Syracuse in week two.

Buffalo  

Season record: 1-2, 0-0 MAC
Week 3 matchup: Colgate (W, 33-10)
Week 4 matchup: Florida Atlantic (1-2)

Buffalo pulled out its first win of the regular season by dominating Colgate 33-10 at home. After two close wins against Army and Minnesota in the first two weeks, the Bulls offense produced 486 yards of offense while committing no turnovers to earn their first win of the season.

Florida Atlantic will be Buffalo's opponent this week as the two teams square off at UB Stadium. Florida Atlantic sophomore Daniel Parr and Buffalo sophomore quarterback Tyree Jackson both have 588 passing yards on the season.

Central Michigan 

Season record: 2-1, 0-0 MAC
Week 3 matchup: Syracuse (L, 41-17)
Week 4 matchup: Miami (1-2)

A 17-yard touchdown pass to put Central Michigan up 17-10 midway through the second quarter proved to be its last scoring play of the game. Syracuse went on to score four straight touchdowns and a field goal over the next two quarters to hand Central Michigan its first loss of the season.

Central Michigan will be one of the first MAC teams to open up conference play this week against crossover school Miami. While the RedHawks have only won one game this season against Austin Peay, their two losses came by less than 5 points each.  

Eastern Michigan 

Season record: 2-0, 0-0 MAC
Week 3 matchup: Bye week
Week 4 matchup: Ohio (2-1)

Eastern Michigan did not play in week three of the regular season.

It should be an interesting crossover game when Ohio travels to Eastern Michigan to open up conference play. Eastern Michigan is coming off a bye week, but remain one of two teams in the MAC that are undefeated, defeating Big Ten opponent Rutgers in week two.

Kent State 

Season record: 1-2, 0-0 MAC
Week 3 matchup: Marshall (L, 21-0)
Week 4 matchup: No. 19 Louisville (2-1)

Kent State struggled to get anything going against Marshall in week three as the Thundering Herd marched to a 21-0 victory. Kent State had 259 yards of offense and 14 first downs in the loss.

For the second time this season, Kent State prepares to take on a top 25 opponent in Louisville – the first top 25 matchup coming by way of a 56-3 loss against Clemson in week one. Louisville is averaging 554 yards of offense this season.

Miami (Ohio) 

Season record: 1-2, 0-0 MAC  
Week 3 matchup: Cincinnati (L, 21-17)  
Week 4 matchup: Central Michigan (2-1)

Miami lost a heartbreaker in week three after giving up a fourth quarter interception, which Cincinnati returned for a touchdown. With less than five minutes to go, Miami led the game 17-6 before giving up a trio of scores.

Miami also opens up conference play this week playing crossover opponent Central Michigan. The Chippewas are coming off of their first loss of the season and senior quarterback Shane Morris has compiled 970 passing yards and eight touchdowns in the first three weeks.

Northern Illinois 

Season record: 2-1, 0-0 MAC
Week 3 matchup: Nebraska (W, 21-17)
Week 4 matchup: No. 22 San Diego State (3-0)

After a pair of interceptions returned for touchdowns, Northern Illinois looked like it had the game in hand, but Nebraska didn't go down without a fight. The Cornhuskers scored three straight times to take a 17-14 lead before a fourth quarter touchdown gave Northern Illinois the win, earning them National Team of the Week honors by the Football Writer's Association of America.

This week will be no easier task for Northern Illinois as it travels to San Diego State to take on the undefeated Aztecs. San Diego State is coming off a 20-17 victory over No. 19 Stanford.

Ohio 

Season record: 2-1, 0-0 MAC  
Week 3 matchup: Kansas (W, 42-30)
Week 4 matchup: Eastern Michigan (2-1)

Ohio remains the only MAC East Division team with a winning record after its 42-30 win against Kansas, a team who has now lost 42 consecutive road games. In the game, the Bobcats balanced offensive attack – 254 passing and 196 rushing yards – led them past the pass-heavy Jayhawks. 

Ohio also starts conference ply this week as it travels to Ypsilanti, Michigan to take on the undefeated Eastern Michigan Eagles. Coming off a bye week, the Eagles have a pair of wins against Charlotte and Big Ten opponent Rutgers.

Toledo 

Season record: 3-0, 0-0 MAC  
Week 3 matchup: Tulsa (W, 54-51)
Week 4 matchup: No. 14 Miami (1-0)

54 points were just enough for Toledo to move to 3-0 on the season over Tulsa. After Entering halftime down by a pair of scores, senior quarterback Logan Woodside passed for 458 yards and six touchdowns as the last second field goal kept Toledo's undefeated season alive.

Toledo's undefeated season may hang in the balance in week four, however, as it travels to play the University of Miami. The 14th-ranked Hurricanes are only 1-0 this season, due to Hurricane Irma tearing through the state of Florida, with their last game being played on Sept. 2, 2017.

Western Michigan 

Season record: 1-2, 0-0 MAC  
Week 2 matchup: Idaho (W, 37-28)
Week 3 matchup: Wagner (1-2) 

After trailing 28-19 entering the fourth quarter, Western Michigan looked as if it was going to drop its third straight game of the 2017 season. A pair of fourth quarter touchdown runs from sophomore quarterback Jon Wassink, however, put the Broncos up and earned them their first win of the season.

Western Michigan plays Football Conference Subdivision opponent Wagner next week after a pair of tough matchup's against No. 4 USC and Big Ten opponent Michigan State.