Ball State looks to remain unbeaten in MAC play

Junior midfielder Paula Guerrero fights for ball on Sept. 15 at the gae against Western Illinois in Briner Sports Complex. The Cardinals won with one point during the first half and two points during the second. Harrison Raft, DN File

Upcoming MAC schedule

Friday, Sept. 29 vs. Ohio (5 p.m.)

Sunday, Oct. 1 vs. Kent State (2 p.m.)

Thursday, Oct. 5 at Western Michigan (4 p.m.)

Sunday, Oct. 8 vs. Northern Illinois (2 p.m.)

Ball State soccer will return home on Friday for its second week of Mid-American Conference play as it hosts Ohio and Kent State. 

After a 2-1 win at Bowling Green and a 1-1 draw at Toledo last weekend, Ball State will aim to pick up 6 more points this weekend and remain unbeaten in MAC play as it begins a favorable stretch of its schedule. The Cardinals have played just three home games this year, but five of their next six games will be at Briner Sports Complex.

“We’re looking forward to being back [home] and ready to compete in Muncie,” head coach Craig Roberts said. “For us to return back home and play in our environment gives you some comfort about what’s going to be happening.”

The Ohio Bobcats (5-5-0, 2-0-0 MAC) come into the weekend with a pair of wins over Eastern and Central Michigan. Senior midfielder Allie Curry has led the Bobcats in scoring, with four goals and one assist on the season. 

Senior midfielder Hannah Jaggers sits right behind Curry on the Bobcat leaderboard with three goals. Jaggers and Curry are the only Bobcats with multiple goals this season.

“We have respect for the success [Curry] has had so far but I think we just need to continue doing what we do best and stick to our game plan,” Roberts said.

A few inches have separated the Cardinals from the 1.00 goal per game average and offensive rhythm they've carried as they move into Friday. Roberts would like to see more opportunities translate into goals.

“In the last game at Toledo, we created over 20 chances to score, so it’s just a matter of us increasing our percentage of conversions,” Roberts said. “We’ve created a lot of great chances that we just have to finish.”

Kent State (6-3-1, 2-0-0 MAC) also started its MAC schedule out with victories over the Michigan foes. The Golden Flashes defeated The Chippewas 2-1, followed by a 1-0 win over the Eagles.

Ball State met Ohio last season, when the Bobcats snapped a 10-game unbeaten streak with a 3-1 victory over the Cardinals. This time, however, Friday's game will be played at Briner Sports Complex when Ball State looks to stay unbeaten through four MAC meetings.

Ball State will kickoff at 5 p.m. Friday against Ohio, followed by a 2 p.m. kickoff Sunday against Kent State. Both games will be at Briner Sports Complex. 

Contact Nate Fields with comments at nefields@bsu.edu.