Ball State football vs. Western Kentucky quarter updates

The Cardinals beat Tennessee Tech 28-13 on Sept. 16 at Scheumann Stadium on family weekend. Ball State rushed 228 yards and passed for 238.

First quarter

Ball State wins the coin toss and defers to the second half.

Western Kentucky drives 58 yards on its opening possession and scores on a 6-yard pass from redshirt senior quarterback Mike White to redshirt senior tight end Deon Yelder.

Ball State senior quarterback Jack Milas, starting in place for injured junior Riley Neal, completes a 21-yard pass to freshman receiver Justin Hall on the Cardinals' first play from scrimmage, but the drive fizzles out and Ball State punts.

The Hilltoppers go three-and-out.

Ball State takes over on its own 36-yard line and Milas finds sophomore running back Malik Dunner open deep on the right side for a 41-yard gain. On first-and-10 from WKU's 18-yard line, Milas completes a 17-yard pass to redshirt freshman tight end Nolan Givan. Freshman running back Caleb Huntley scores a 1-yard touchdown on second-and-goal to tie the game, 7-7.

Western Kentucky starts its next drive on its own 22-yard line and drives down to Ball State's 16-yard line. On first-and-10, junior linebacker Damon Singleton intercepts White's pass.

Second quarter

Ball State starts the second quarter on second-and-9 from its own 18-yard line. The Cardinals make it to their own 42-yard line but have to punt.

Western Kentucky responds with a 62-yard drive, but on third-and-2 from the Ball State 16 yard-line Cardinals freshman linebacker Jaylin Thomas sacks White. WKU redshirt junior kicker Ryan Nuss kicks a 40-yard field goal on fourth down to put the Hilltoppers ahead 10-7.

The Cardinals go three-and-out. Freshman linebacker Brandon Martin is penalized for targeting on the punt and is ejected.

Western Kentucky starts on Ball State's 47-yard line and takes advantage of the short field. Redshirt sophomore running back Marquez Trigg scores on a 2-yard touchdown run to make it 17-7 Hilltoppers.

Ball State moves into Western Kentucky territory on its next drive. Huntley, however, loses a fumble on third-and-3 from the Hilltoppers' 33-yard line.

Western Kentucky takes over on its own 32-yard line with 39 seconds left in the half but go three-and-out.

The Cardinals take over on their own 29-yard line with 15 seconds left in the half and run out the clock.

Third quarter

Ball State receives to start the second half but the offense doesn't gain much traction. The Cardinals punt after going three-and-out.

Western Kentucky almost makes it into Ball State territory on its next drive. On first-and-10 from the WKU 49, freshman Cardinals cornerback Antonio Phillips sacks White for a loss of eight yards. The Hilltoppers can't get a first down, but redshirt sophomore punter Alex Rinella pins the Cardinals on their own 1-yard line.

Ball State converts on third-and-6 from its own 5-yard line. On first-and-10 from the 11, however, Milas is intercepted by junior cornerback Drell Greene.

The Hilltoppers don't take advantage of the short field this time. Cardinals freshman safety Bryce Cosby intercepts White's pass in the end zone on second-and-10 from Ball State's 14-yard line.

Ball State puts together an 80-yard drive capped by sophomore running back Malik Dunner's 4-yard touchdown run. The Cardinals cut the Hilltoppers lead to 17-14.

Western Kentucky moves back into the red zone after redshirt senior Kylen Towner breaks off a 41-yard kick return, a 20-yard reception by running back Jakari Moses and a 15-yard reception by redshirt sophomre receiver Lucky Jackson.

Fourth quarter

The Hilltoppers start the fourth quarter on third-and-3 from the Cardinals' 17-yard line. Singleton breaks up White's pass to make it fourth down. Nuss hits a 35-yard field goal to increase WKU's lead to 20-14.

Ball State goes three-and-out.

The Hilltoppers start on the Cardinals' 42-yard line after senior Nacarius Fant returns the punt 22 yards. Ball State freshman cornerback Verenzo Holmes comes off the edge for the sack on first down. On third-and-24, redshirt senior defensive end Anthony Winbush sacks White.

The Cardinals take over on their own 11-yard line after the punt. They make it up to their own 39-yard line but have to punt.

Western Kentucky takes over on its own 15-yard line and goes three-and-out.

Ball State takes over on its own 41-yard line. On second-and-1, Milas connects with Hall for 30 yards, then passes to sophomore Antwan Davis for 16 yards to make it first-and-goal from the 4-yard line. Huntley plunges in for a 3-yard touchdown run to give Ball State its first lead of the game, 21-20, with 4:50 to go.

The Hilltoppers respond with an 8-play, 76-yard touchdown drive to retake the lead. Moses scores on a 5-yard touchdown run. WKU goes for two points, but the pass falls incomplete. The Hilltoppers lead 26-21 with 1:38 to go.

Ball State starts on its own 24-yard line after Dunner's kick return. Milas throws incomplete passes on first and second down. On third-and-10, Western Kentucky senior Joe Brown intercepts Milas's pass and returns it for a touchdown. The Hilltoppers lead 33-21 with 1:13 remaining.

The Cardinals start the next drive on their own 10 and are stopped on fourth-and-9. The Hilltoppers knee the ball to run out the clock. Western Kentucky wins 33-21.