Festival raises awareness for autism in Muncie

<p><em>Jennifer Cullen represented Ball State University’s Center for Autism. // Photo by Logan Hancock</em></p>

Jennifer Cullen represented Ball State University’s Center for Autism. // Photo by Logan Hancock

The Delaware County Fairgrounds hosted the 11th annual Autism Awareness Festival this weekend. Muncie citizens gathered inside Heartland Hall and Memorial Building for festivities that included bounce houses, silent auction items, photo booths, free lunch, games, and information booths with resources focused on raising a child with autism.

The festival was preceded by a 5K run to raise money for Interlock, which is an organization that supports families who have children with autism. They also support teachers who work with special education students.

Tom Donovan serves on the board of directors for Interlock, and also helps coordinate the 5K run. Donovan said Interlock has four community partners in Muncie including Ball State University’s special education department.

“This event is put on in whole by sponsors,” Donovan said.

Jennifer Cullen worked an informational booth and represented Ball State’s Center for Autism. 

“It’s a way not only to raise awareness for autism, but also to actually connect families to resources to help them in the day to day life of raising a child with Autism,” Cullen said.

Cullen bought Ball State themed gifts for the silent auction and candy for the booth. Cullen said she is an extrovert and loves talking with people.

“I think my favorite thing is seeing everyone. Recognizing some of the kids from year to year to see how they have grown,” Cullen said.

Riley White is an annual volunteer at the event and has a special connection to autism as his brother has been affected by the disease.

“I’ve been coming here for a couple of years now because of my little brother,” White said.

White brought his sensory dog and let people pet him as they walked around the informational booths.

Riley White with his sensory dog at the Interlock Autism Awareness Fest.

“It’s a great fun time for everyone,” White said.

“Kids share similarities, and talk about [autism]. Maybe join one of the groups here that will help with your kid. There are some that are better for certain kids.”

For more information about how to assist and educate families living with autism visit www.interlockin.org.