RECAP: Ball State men's tennis vs. IUPUI

Ball State men's tennis beat IUPUI for the 11th consecutive season, winning 5-2.

Seniors Andrew Stutz and Lucas Andersen won their first-flight doubles match 6-3, and sophomores Conner Andersen and Tom Carney won their second-flight match 6-1 to give the Cardinals (11-9, 2-1 MAC) the doubles point.

In singles play, sophomore Tom Carney won his sixth flight match in straight sets, 6-1, 6-2. Carney said what propelled him to victory was positive talks from teammates.

"I really work hard at practice with Lucas Wiese and Patrick O'Connor," Carney said.  "And the entire team. Lucas Andersen helped me in the doubles match."

Junior Jan Jirus lost 7-6, 6-2 in the fifth flight. Jirus came back and tied the first set at 6-6, but did not win. In the fourth flight, Conner Andersen won 6-1, 6-3.

In the third flight, sophomore Nemanja Guzina lost both sets 6-4, 6-4, though his brother, sophomore Marko Guzina, won in straight sets in the second flight 6-2, 6-3.  Late in the second set, Marko was upset with a call made by the referee. Marko said this fire allowed me to be intense.

"I had hit a ball that was clearly in and it got overruled by the referee," Marko said. "He did not like it, but he made a mistake."

Stutz lost 6-4 in the first set of his top-flight match, but won 6-1 in the second set and 6-3 in the third. Stutz said he started pretty rough in the first set.

"I stayed pretty positive and I knew I would find my way," Stutz said. "I was happy to get through in two tough sets."

The Cardinals return to Mid-American Conference play against Western Michigan on Friday. The match starts at 2 p.m. at Cardinal Creek Tennis Center.