University Singers to perform 53rd annual Spectacular show

<p>The Ball State University Singers will present their 53rd annual Spectacular on Friday and Saturday in John R. Emens Auditorium. The 53rd Spectacular is a culmination of all the work the University Singers have done since the beginning of the school year. <em>Patrick Stauffer</em><em>&nbsp;// Photo Provided</em></p>

The Ball State University Singers will present their 53rd annual Spectacular on Friday and Saturday in John R. Emens Auditorium. The 53rd Spectacular is a culmination of all the work the University Singers have done since the beginning of the school year. Patrick Stauffer // Photo Provided

University Singer's 53rd annual Spectacular show

WHERE: John R. Emens Auditorium

WHEN: 7:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday 

Kids's performance at 9:30 a.m Friday 

Tickets to the show are $15 for reserved seating and $10 for students. To call and reserve seats contact Emens Box Office at 765- 285-1539. 

The Ball State University Singers will be presenting their 53rd annual Spectacular this weekend in John R. Emens Auditorium.

Showtimes for the entertaining and historic event will be at 7:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday. Along with these two performances, University Singers will also be putting on a kid’s performance at 9:30 a.m. Friday.

“There is something in this show for everyone," said Alan Alder, producer and director of the University Singers. "We allow every audience member to leave the performance feeling familiar with what we do as an ensemble. We do this so that everyone feels as if they are a part of the performance.”

The 53rd Spectacular is a culmination of all the work the University Singers have done since the beginning of the school year.

“The entire year sort of builds up to this moment where the University Singers can showcase the individual talents of each cast member as well as the ensemble as a whole,” Alder said. “There aren’t many student organizations like ours on the Ball State campus, certainly no other groups that have been around as long as we have that are doing the kinds of work that we do.”

The Spectacular was a tradition started in 1966 by Don Neuen, former director of the University Singers. The Spectacular has been a staple to the music culture of Ball State ever since.

“As a group we perform a wide variety of music from what you would hear on the radio today to hits from the '60s and even before that,” Alder said. “We will be performing group numbers, individual solo numbers, duets, trios and even band features. We also include material from Broadway, so it's a very wide spectrum that provides something for everyone.”