Sole Dance fundraiser to help children affected by domestic violence

Mortar Board invites people to dance, donate and help decrease the hardships of children affected by domestic violence.

Mortar Board, a Ball State honor society, will host the first Sole Dance: Stepping Toward a Better Way fundraising event 7:30 to 9 p.m. Thursday in the Jo Ann Gora Student Recreation and Wellness Center Room 212.

At the event, Cardinal Ballroom and the Salsa Club will perform competitive dances. After that, participants will be invited on stage to learn basic steps of different dance styles.

Along with dancing, Kate Murray, the executive director of A Better Way, will discuss her role, resources offered at the organization and ways people can get involved. 

The nonprofit A Better Way provides the following services, according to its website:

• Shelter and services for victims of domestic violence.
  • Transitional housing.
  • Advocacy for victims of sexual assault.
  • 24-hour crisis line for persons in any type of crisis.
  • AOK afterschool programs.
  • Suicide hotline.
  • Bullying, teen dating violence and domestic violence prevention programs.
  • Check-in call service for elderly or disabled homebound persons.

Admission to the event will be a $3 donation for an individual or $5 for a pair. Instead of paying, people can also give a new pair of children’s shoes to A Better Way.

Bailee Weaver, the Mortar Board service chairwoman, said the idea to fundraise for the organization came while she was volunteering at A Better Way and saw how many children go there when a parent escapes a crisis.

“A lot of times they don’t have time to pack a bag,” Weaver said. “They might be missing shoes or an extra pair of clothes.”

Although A Better Way provides donated shoes, she said many children need them and the options are limited.

“A lot of the shoes are really dirty, old or all of one size,” Weaver said.

Weaver said so far $500 has been donated from Interfraternity Council. Her goal is to raise about $250 more.