Blue pinwheels throughout Muncie bring awareness to child abuse

Up to 10,000 blue pinwheels have been placed around Delaware County to help promote National Child Abuse Prevention Month throughout April. In addition to the pinwheels, PCA has billboards, information booklets and events to help start a dialog in the community. Kaiti Sullivan // DN

If you would like a blue pinwheel to place in your yard, you can get one from Lindenbrook at 3413 W Foxridge Lane for a small donation or for free.

Thousands of blue pinwheels have been placed on Delaware County lawns throughout April to help promote National Child Abuse Prevention month.

“They’re a promise that represents a happy, carefree childhood for every child,” said Debbie Collins, former president for the Prevent Child Abuse Council of Delaware County (PCA).

Collins estimates that PCA volunteers have placed up to 10,000 pinwheels around the county.

Those who see the pinwheels are encouraged to read the accompanying signs and take a photo to post to the PCA Facebook page.

Through the past 20 years PCA volunteers have worked out of car trunks, homes and various offices to bring awareness about child abuse to Delaware County.

“People just need to get involved,” Collins said. “All too often people say ‘I never see this,’ but if they have neighbors, children or grandchildren, they probably know someone who has been affected.”

In addition to the pinwheels, PCA has billboards, information booklets and events to help start a dialog in the community.

The next event is an annual appreciation breakfast for DCS staff and others who work to protect abused children and prevent similar actions in the future.

“We do it to recognize our hometown heroes,” Collins said. “The firefighters, police officers and nurses are on the front line of seeing the trauma victims and fighting the abuse. It’s just our small way of giving back.”

Collins said PCA encourages people to gain awareness on the issue through volunteerism.

“It’s more than writing a check,” she said. “Become involved -- mentor a child, mentor a family. You have to get out of your house and get involved if you want to make a difference in your community.”