RECAP: Ball State women’s tennis vs. Northern Illinois

Freshman Rebecca Herrington hits a forehand during her doubles match against IUPUI on Feb. 19. Emma Rogers // DN

Next match:

When: Friday 

Against: Bowling Green

Time: 1 p.m.

Where: Cardinal Creek Tennis Center

The Ball State women's tennis team (14-2, 2-0 MAC) was in action this afternoon against Northern Illinois (6-9, 01 MAC) in their second match of Mid-American Conference play, taking a 6-1 victory.

Things got off to a better start then they did on Friday against Western Michigan as the team took the doubles point this time. On court 2, senior Carmen Blanco and sophomore Peyton Gollhofer beat Northern Illinois' Evelyn Youel and Pauline Chawafambira 6-1.

It was the same story on court 3 as the Huskies’ pairing of Brodie Walker and Meghan Montgomerie was ousted by Ball State’s sophomore Audrey Berger and freshman Rebecca Herrington 6-1.

At that point, the fate of the doubles had been decided, which is why play on court 1 was stopped. Junior Julia Sbircea and senior Rosa Calderon were down 3-4 to Raven Neely and Adey Osabuohien.

In singles action, Ball State won five out of six matches in straight sets. Gollhofer could not join her fellow teammates in that regard. The contest went to a match-breaker and it was her opponent, Neely, who came out on top with a 6-7,7-6,10-7 victory.

But by that stage, it was too little too late for the Huskies.

Tiebreaks played a part in both Calderon’s and Ormond’s matches. On court 6, Calderon closed out her match with a 7-0 victory in the tiebreak, winning 6-4,7-6 overall against Montgomerie. Ormond seemed to have similar ease in her tiebreak in the second set which gave her a 6-0,7-6 win over Chawafambira.

Playing in the top spot once more, Blanco beat Osabuohien 6-2,6-3 on court 1. Sophomore Isabelle Dohanics won 6-3,6-2 on court 4 against Abigail Dekkinga while Berger triumphed 6-4,6-0 over Youel on court 5.

After a weekend on the road, the Cardinals now have a run of three home matches, starting at 1 p.m. Friday against Bowling Green.