RECAP: Ball State women’s tennis vs. Bowling Green State

Freshman Rebecca Herrington hits a forehand during her doubles match against IUPUI on Feb. 19. Emma Rogers // DN

Ball State women's tennis improved its winning streak to 10 games after beating Bowling Green State 7-0 today at the Muncie YMCA Tennis Center.

The Cardinals (15-2, 3-0 MAC) only had to win one of two doubles matches for the point, as the Falcons (5-10, 1-2 MAC) had to forfeit the third with only five players active for the match. However, it was easier said than done.

Ball State got off to a flying start in both matches but Bowling Green State kept it close. On court 1, sophomores Isabelle Dohanics and Audrey Berger were kept in close touch by their opponents, sophomore Paula Comella and freshman Marharita-Sophia Tavpash. Having the chance to serve out the match on a couple of occasions, the Ball State pairing couldn’t make it happen and was forced into a tiebreak by the Falcons duo.

The tiebreak told a similar story with tight points, but Berger and Dohanics were able to find their way through and win 7-6 (7-5).

Cardinals sophomore Peyton Gollhofer and senior Carmen Blanco looked like they'd wrap up the doubles point after going up 3-0 against sophomore Polina Radeva and freshman Ayumi Sasaki on court 2, but the Falcons' duo came back to tie it 3-3 and eventually forced a tiebreak. With the match on court 1 finishing first and the doubles point decided, the match ended unfinished.

After the doubles matches ended, singles play began on most of the courts. Bowling Green State also forfeited the sixth-flight match.

The crowd was treated to an intense contest on court 1 as Blanco beat Comella 7-6, 7-6 (7-3).

Ball State freshman Rebecca Herrington was the first to finish her match on court 5, taking another solid victory this season by beating junior Emily Witt 6-0, 6-2. Next to finish was the court beside her where senior Toni Ormond won 6-2, 7-5 over Radeva.

After an excellent start, Dohanics was tested in the second set by Sasaki. However, in keeping with the straight sets theme for Ball State today, she won 6-1, 7-5. Gollhofer also beat Tavpash on court 2 6-1, 6-2.

The Cardinals are in action again at 1 p.m. Sunday as the Buffalo Bulls (6-5) visit Muncie for the first time since head coach Max Norris took charge four years ago, despite having four matches against each other in that time.