PREVIEW: Ball State track and field compete in Raleigh Relays

The Ball State track and field hosts the only home indoor meet of the season in the Field Sports Buidling on Feb. 17. The Ball State Tune-Up included teams from Fort Wayne, Western Michigan, and Wright State. Kyle Crawford // DN

How to follow the Raleigh Relays:

ESPN3 on Friday 5 p.m. to 9 p.m and Saturday noon to 3:30 p.m.

Live Stats

This weekend, Ball State track and field will be traveling to Raleigh, North Carolina, as North Carolina State hosts the Raleigh Relays.

Last weekend, the Cardinals kicked off their outdoor season at Butler University in the Stan Lyons Invitational. They placed sixth in the unusually cold weather.

Head coach Brian Etelman is confident going into the Raleigh Relays to see how the team can perform in warm weather.

“We wanted to schedule something warmer during the season so we can go down there and perform well,” Etelman said. “So I am sure we will do really well if we just compete the same way we did.”

Etelman said this is the meet that really kicks off their outdoor season and gives the team momentum they need for the rest of the season.

“We are in a pretty good spot right now,” Etelman said. “We will have a much better idea of how we look after the Raleigh Relays.”

Last week, senior Danielle Dahl and junior Adrienne Mayfield each had first-place performances. Dahl ran in the 400-meter and placed first after not competing for a year and Mayfield got a personal record and placed first in the discus. 

After the Stan Lyons Invitational, 13 other team members recorded personal bests.

Ball State is not the only team from the Mid-American Conference competing in the Raleigh Relays. Bowling Green, Akron, Northern Illinois, Toledo and Ohio will also make appearances.

The two-day meet starts Friday and will finish on Saturday. It starts at 9:45 a.m. Friday and 8 a.m. Saturday.