Ball State student's apartment searched by FBI, Homeland Security following Goodwill incident

<p>FBI and Department of Homeland Security searched the Ball State&nbsp;Scheidler apartment of Khaliad Bilal Wednesday after his arrest at the northside Goodwill on Saturday. Bilal was&nbsp;charged with five counts of battery resulting in bodily injury to a police officer, three counts each of resisting law enforcement and battery resulting in bodily injury and single counts of attempted strangulation, intimidation, criminal trespass and battery.&nbsp;<i style="background-color: initial;">Allie Kirkman</i><i style="background-color: initial;">&nbsp;// DN&nbsp;</i></p><p></p>

FBI and Department of Homeland Security searched the Ball State Scheidler apartment of Khaliad Bilal Wednesday after his arrest at the northside Goodwill on Saturday. Bilal was charged with five counts of battery resulting in bodily injury to a police officer, three counts each of resisting law enforcement and battery resulting in bodily injury and single counts of attempted strangulation, intimidation, criminal trespass and battery. Allie Kirkman // DN 

A former Ball State student has been deemed "a danger to the community" after choking and threatening to kill a store clerk and injuring a police officer at a Muncie Goodwill, according to federal police.

Investigators said 24-year-old Khalid Sulaiman Bilal, a Saudi Arabian national, threatened to kill those who did not convert to Islam and was taken into custody at the northside Goodwill on March 25. A special agent with the Department of Homeland Security, who wrote the affidavit of probable cause, determined that Bilal’s "actions and behavior showed signs of radicalization.”

The FBI and the Department of Homeland Security executed a search warrant on the afternoon of March 29 at an apartment complex maintained by Ball State. The warrant stated that it is possible that there will be evidence suggesting that Bilal's actions were "premeditated." 

The apartment was occupied by Bilal, who was a Ball State student at the time of his arrest. On March 31, however, a university spokesperson said Bilal's status as a student had been "revoked."

According to documents obtained by The Star Press, a MacBook, Dell laptop, camera and travel documents were seized during the search. 

On March 27, Bilal was charged with five counts of battery resulting in bodily injury to a police officer, three counts each of resisting law enforcement and battery resulting in bodily injury and single counts of attempted strangulation, intimidation, criminal trespass and battery.

According to court documents, Bilal confronted the store clerk at the Goodwill and attempted to "forcefully convert her to Islam." He continued to tell the clerk he would kill her if she did not convert. He then became angry and began choking her.

When a Muncie police officer arrived on the scene, Bilal “assumed a fighting stance.” The officer then attempted to restrain Bilal and tased him, according to a police report.

A second officer then arrived on the scene and attempted to restrain Bilal. Bilal then attempted to fight with the officers and broke one officer's hand, according to the affidavit.

The officer then tased Bilal again and was able to handcuff his ankles and wrists, according to the report. During the struggle, Bilal told the officers they were going to go to hell and repeatedly yelled "Allahu Akbar," meaning "God is greater."

Bilal also claimed he was Muhammad, the prophet of Islam.

The phrase “Allahu Akbar” has been yelled prior to and during recent terror attacks.

Omar Mateen, the Orlando Nightclub shooter, yelled “Allahu Akbar” before engaging in gunfire with police June 2016. More recently in February, a subject yelled “Allahu Akbar” and attacked French police with a machete.

Bilal was then taken to IU Health Ball Memorial Hospital. While at the hospital, he escaped his restraints before attacking hospital staff and punching an officer in the face three times.

The officer then attempted to strike a pressure point but ended up punching Bilal in his mouth, according to the affidavit. Bilal was eventually subdued and restrained.

Bilal’s bail is set at $100,000.