FAFSA deadline right around corner

<p>FAFSA, or the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, is a form that is filled out by current or soon-to-be college students to determine their federal, state and institutional financial aid, if they're <a href="https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/eligibility/basic-criteria">eligible</a>.&nbsp;Benefits from the FAFSA include grants, scholarships, work-study and loans, and the deadline to turn in the online form for the 2017-18 academic year is March 10. Grace Ramey // DN File</p>

FAFSA, or the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, is a form that is filled out by current or soon-to-be college students to determine their federal, state and institutional financial aid, if they're eligible. Benefits from the FAFSA include grants, scholarships, work-study and loans, and the deadline to turn in the online form for the 2017-18 academic year is March 10. Grace Ramey // DN File

FAFSA help from financial aid can be found here: http://cms.bsu.edu/admissions/financial-aid-and-scholarships/financial-aid-process/fafsa

Time is running out for students who have yet to fill out their annual financial aid information.

FAFSA, or the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, is a form that is filled out by current or soon-to-be college students to determine their federal, state and institutional financial aid, if they're eligible.

Benefits from the FAFSA include grants, scholarships, work-study and loans, and the deadline to turn in the online form for the 2017-18 academic year is March 10.

If students do not file their FAFSA information by the deadline, they are at risk for not receiving financial aid for the following school year.

“Many awards are tied to that deadline,” said John D. McPherson, assistant vice president of Student Affairs and Enrollment Services. “If an eligible student fails to file a FAFSA by March 10, the award will be zero.”

According to the Ball State calendar of events, it only takes an average time of 23 minutes to complete the FAFSA “after gathering all your essential documents.”

The event page also contains an article called “7 Things You’ll Need Before Filling Out a FAFSA”, which goes through the seven items needed to complete your FAFSA including your FSA ID, social security number, driver’s license number, 2015 tax records, records of your u-taxed income, records of all assets and a list of schools that you’re interested in attending.

Students can file their FAFSA through the official website, or request a paper copy of it by calling the FAFSA offices. FAFSA can also be filed at the financial aid office as long as necessary items accompany the student filling out the form.

Last year, FAFSA made a few significant changes to the 2017-18 academic year application, which include being able to file the FAFSA as early as Oct. 1, and having to file your tax information from the previous year, 2015.