Opera Theatre to perform Mozart's 'Le nozze di Figaro'

What: “Le nozze di Figaro”

When: 7:30 p.m. today and 2 p.m. Sunday

Where: Sursa Performance Hall

Tickets can be purchased by calling 765-285-8749 or online.

General admission: $15
Seniors: $13
Faculty/staff: $10
Student with ID in advance at Emens Box Office: $5, or $8 at the door.

Ball State's Opera Theatre will be performing one of the most popular opera shows in the world this weekend – Mozart's "Le nozze di Figaro." 

The program will host two performances. The piece will be sung in Italian with translations projected throughout.

“The Marriage of Figaro” in English, tells the story of Figaro, a count’s valet and his fiancée Susanna as they prepare for their wedding.

Each of the four acts takes place in a different area of Count Almaviva’s castle in Spain.

Jon Truitt is the director of opera and an associate professor of voice. He said he chose the work partially for its representation of class, relationships and how people treat each other across social lines.

“It celebrates each person’s innate humanity as being more important than the social status that often tries to define us,” Truitt said.

The piece is also one of the most performed operas in the world, making it relevant for students pursuing professional careers in opera, he said.

Students were cast in the fall, and have individual rehearsals with Truitt, vocal coach Hyery Hwang and other voice teachers. The cast includes students from freshmen to doctoral students.

Truitt said the rehearsal process has been great.

“Operas from this era tend to have a great deal of music to learn. The score is around 400 pages long for a show that’s just under three hours long with intermission, so there is a simple volume difficulty for any person performing that much music,” he said. “The opera program strives to imitate the professional process so all of the music was memorized and staged completely without scores in hand.”

This is also the longest foreign language role many students have ever done, he said.

A performance will be streamed on the Concert Webcast Page a few days after the live show. Truitt said this gives the viewer a better final product.

“We mostly stream so that those far away that can’t get to the production have a chance to see their friends and loved ones in the production as well as for promoting our program to potential students,” he said.

The live performances will be at 7:30 p.m. today and 2 p.m. Sunday. Both performances will be at Sursa Performance Hall.