Jazz ensemble, guest artist to perform with high school competition winners

Ball State's Ensemble III performs Jamey Simmon's Second Guess on Feb. 1 in Sursa Hall. The performance was part of Ball State's Tom Shah Memorial Jazz Scholarship Award Concert, honoring the late director of Ball State's Jazz Studies program who was one of the victims of the bombing of the U.S. Embassy in Nairobi, Kenya in 1998. Grace Ramey // DN

What: Art of Jazz performance

When: 7:30 p.m. Saturday

Where: Emens Auditorium

As a way to celebrate and end the day of the 44th-Annual Dimensions in Jazz Festival, guest artists Vincent DiMartino and Chris Vadal will perform with high school competition winners and the Ball State Jazz Ensemble.

The festival is a day for high school jazz bands from around the region to come to the Ball State and participate in jazz band and combo competitions. 

The performance will be at 7:30 p.m. Saturday in John R. Emens Auditorium.

DiMartino has been playing the trumpet since he was in elementary school. He has been the lead and solo trumpeter in the Lionel Hampton Band, the Chuck Mangione Band, the Clark Terry Band and The Eastman Arranger’s Holiday Orchestra. He is currently the coordinator of the Centre College Instrumental Program and is a distinguished Matton Professor of Music at Centre College.

With the Ball State Jazz Festival being one of DiMartino’s earliest guest artist-adjudicator events, he said he has been wanting to come back after all this time.

DiMartino will be performing pieces such as a Latin version of Purcell’s "Trumpet Tune" and "The Autumn Leaves."

Vadala has appeared on more than 100 recordings to date and has also numerous film and TV scores, performing on saxophone, flute and clarinet. He is currently the director of jazz studies, a saxophone professor and a professor at the University of Maryland.

Vadala will be performing pieces such as "Quintessence" by Quincy Jones, "A Night in Tunisia" by Dizzy Gillespie and "Doxy" by Sonny Rollins.

DiMartino and Vadala both grew up in the state of New York, and learned to play jazz in their public school band programs. Now both performers and educators, the two will take the stage and perform "Children of Sanchez," a piece by Chuck Mansion.

“This will be a much-anticipated reunion and collaboration,” Vadala said.

Reuniting and performing with the jazz ensemble will be a special moment for the two, and one that they look forward to sharing with the audience.

“We look forward to seeing each other and reliving old stories and creating new ones," DiMartino said.