RECAP: Ball State track and field finishes 1st day of MAC Indoor Championships

The Ball State track and field hosts the only home indoor meet of the season in the Field Sports Buidling on Feb. 17. The Ball State Tune-Up included teams from Fort Wayne, Western Michigan, and Wright State. Kyle Crawford // DN

Ball State results

Bryeana Byrdsong, 60M Dash: 7.64

Jazmin Smith, 60M Hurdles: 8.53

Jasmine Harris, 60M Hurdles: 8.57

Bryeana Byrdsong, 200M: 24.52

Distance Medley Relay: 4th place

Ball State track and field has officially finished the first day of the two-day Mid-American Conference Indoor Championships.

At the halfway mark of the meet, the Cardinals are 10th and in a higher position than where they finished last year.

Head coach Brian Etelman said the Cardinals will wrack up more points on the second day of events.

Sophomore Jazmin Smith, and freshman Jasmine Harris both qualified for the 60-meter hurdles and freshman Bryeana Byrdsong qualified for the 60-meter dash. Byrdsong also qualified for the 200 meter race.

“[Byrdsong] looked like a freaking monster in the 200 tonight,” Etelman said.

Ball State's distance medley relay team was not projected to qualify for the finals either, but ran a 12:16.66 in the prelims to make the cut before finishing in fourth place. The team of freshman Peyton Kneadler, junior Gabby Sims, freshman Hannah Cummings and freshman Brooke Talhelm finished top five and scored the only points the Cardinals earned tonight.

“It was definitely a good night," Etelman said. "Both Jazmin and Jasmine made it into the finals, Byrdsong qualified for two races, and the DMR got in fourth place."

The MAC Indoor Championships continue Saturday. The field events start at 10:15 a.m. and the running events start at 1:30 p.m.