'Seminar' teaches actors about dreaming, achieving

<p>Emma Rund, Emily Pazik and&nbsp;Will Rupert perform in&nbsp;Cave Theatre's next production is Theresa Rebeck's "Seminar" from Feb. 15 to 26. The production tells the story of four aspiring fiction writers who are participating in a writing seminar. <i style="font-size: 14px;">John Osterhoudt // Photo Provided</i></p>

Emma Rund, Emily Pazik and Will Rupert perform in Cave Theatre's next production is Theresa Rebeck's "Seminar" from Feb. 15 to 26. The production tells the story of four aspiring fiction writers who are participating in a writing seminar. John Osterhoudt // Photo Provided

Seminar

Cave Studio Theatre (AC 007)

By Theresa Rebeck

Directed by John Osterhoudt

Feb. 15, 17, 20, 22, 25 at 7:30 p.m.

Feb. 18, 26 at 2:30 p.m.

Individual tickets for these student workshop productions are $6, available at the door or at the University Theatre Box Office.

The next Cave Theatre production is a case of art imitating life for its actors.

“Seminar” tells the story of four aspiring fiction writers who are participating in a writing seminar. The writers — Izzy, Kate, Martin and Douglas — are under the direction of Leonard, an accomplished novelist. However, Leonard taints their visions of what it means to be an artist.

Emma Rund, a sophomore theatrical studies major, plays Kate. She said being in the show is challenging as a college student.

“We’re still dreaming big but it’s scary because the show brings to light that we might have to compromise,” Rund said. “But it’s also nice because it teaches you that if your life gets torn apart and your dreams get flushed down the toilet, you can still come up with something else.”

Will Rupert said the play is relatable to anyone. The sophomore acting major plays Martin.

“It’s relatable if you’re a writer, but also even if you’re not an artist,” he said. “You can come and see people going after their goals, something we all do.”

For Daniel Robinson, the sophomore acting major who plays Leonard, being in the show has taught him about being aware of different opportunities life presents.

“You’ve got to keep your eyes open to new things,” Robinson said. “You don’t have to give up your dreams; there are different ways to achieve your goals. Don’t be blind to what’s going on in the world.”

John Osterhoudt is the student director of the show. The junior telecommunications and theater major said it’s been good to get back to the theater. Osterhoudt directed the documentary “Unmasked: The Stigma of Meth” in the fall.

“It’s good to be working with and learning from actors again,” he said. “It’s been a good opportunity to get into the depth of collaborative art again.”

Directing is also an opportunity to take on a professional role without the stakes being too high, he said.

“The process of figuring out how to put a play up without someone who has real-life experience has definitely been a learning experience,” Osterhoudt said.

Osterhoudt said he hopes the audience thinks about how they go about getting what they strive for.

“It’s about balancing getting what we want and what we need to do,” he said. “Yeah, I’d like to be an artist and tell meaningful stories, but at what point do I compromise so I can pay my bills?”

“Seminar” will run in rep with “I and You,” meaning both shows are playing at the same time. For specific dates for both shows, visit the Cave Theatre’s website.