Books on Tap meshes library and bar life

<p>Teri Lightning Jr., DN</p>

Teri Lightning Jr., DN

Books on Tap

When: 6:30 p.m. on the last Tuesday of each month

Location: Twin Archer Brewpub, 117 W Charles St

Have you ever wanted to join a book club, but felt unsure if it was the right fit? One Muncie club allows members to discuss literature with a pint of their favorite brew. 

Books on Tap is one of five book clubs the Maring-Hunt Library offers to the Muncie community. 

On the last Tuesday of each month, the club meets at Twin Archer Brewpub to discuss the month’s book while enjoying some delicious food and drinks.

“If you enjoy reading and discussing books among friends in a comfortable setting with good food and drinks, you will enjoy Books on Tap,” said Laura Geesy, overseer of Books on Tap and information specialist at Maring-Hunt Library.

The club originally started in 2014 and met at Savage’s Ale House. The goal was to reach out to community members who might not normally come to the library. After trying out a few different locations for the meetings, the club has now found a permanent home at the pub.

Members of Books on Tap read a variety of books, including fiction, nonfiction and young adult novels. In the past, the club has read books such as "Gone Girl" by Gillian Flynn, "The Other Wes Moore" by Wes Moore and "Fahrenheit 451" by Ray Bradbury.

At a typical meeting, Geesy will pass out a list of six to 10 questions that relate to the month’s book. Then, the floor is opened up for discussion.

“It is a free-flowing conversation where people add to the discussion however they like,” Geesy said. “If people are more listeners than talkers, that is okay, too.”

Upcoming titles for the club include "Marley and Me" by Josh Grogan and "Night" by Elie Wiesel, as well as "Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children" by Ransom Riggs.

For those interested in joining, Books on Tap encourages new members to join the club at Twin Archers Brewpub on the last Tuesday of each month at 6:30 p.m. Before arriving, interested members can drop by the Maring-Hunt Library to check out a copy of the month’s book choice.