RECAP: Ball State men's swim and dive vs. Eastern Illinois

<p>JD Middleton, a senior on the Ball State men's swimming and diving team, starting swimming at 9 years old. Middleton started swimming at the New Castle swim club in elementary school.&nbsp;<i style="background-color: initial;">Breanna Daugherty // DN File</i></p>

JD Middleton, a senior on the Ball State men's swimming and diving team, starting swimming at 9 years old. Middleton started swimming at the New Castle swim club in elementary school. Breanna Daugherty // DN File

Best Ball State times

1. Senior Austin Green (1st in both 50 and 100-yard Freestyle)

2. Freshman Logan Ackley (1st collegiate win in 200-yard Backstroke)

3. Junior Isaac Walling (1st in 1000-yard Freestyle)

4. Senior Tanner Barton (1st in 200-yard Butterfly)

5. Sophomore Gabe Dean (1st on both one meter and three-meter diving)

On the road at Indiana State, the Ball State men’s swim and dive team defeated Eastern Illinois by a score of 187-93 last Friday night.  

Head swimming coach Bob Thomas said that the meet was very good.

“We had a lot of good swims,” Thomas said.  “But the most important thing were the times were be best ones that we have had all season.”

One of the most impressive time drops was senior Austin Green’s performance in the 50 and 100-yard freestyle events.  Green swam a 21.72 in the 50-yard Freestyle.  His time is only 1.5 seconds away from a “B” standard time. 

Thomas explained the “B” time.

“The NCAA has an “A” standard which is automatic and then the “B” standard means consideration,” Thomas said.  “If he could get a “B” standard time, then he would be considered for NCAA.”

Another event that stood out was the 1000-yard Freestyle.  Junior Isaac Walling placed first with a time of 10:01.14.  Thomas said that his technique has been consistent.

“Compared to last weekend, he swam virtually the same exact time,” Thomas said.  “I would like to see him be under ten minutes.”

This pace, Thomas said, would help Walling in the 1650-yard Freestyle on Sunday.

The final event that stood out was the 200-yard Butterfly.  Senior Tanner Barton won the Butterfly with a 1:55.75.  Thomas said Barton has really improved since the last time he swam it.

“He split the 200 pretty well,” Thomas said.  “I was quite happy for him and his time.”

Sophomore Gabe Dean was the lone diver on the boards.  He won both the one-meter and three-meter diving events.  His scores were 199.80 and 232.88, one meter and three-meter.

The Cardinals return to action on Sunday at the Butler Invitational.  The meet starts at noon.