Ball State's Moses named 2017 Allstate NABC Good Works Team nominee

Center Trey Moses prepares for a shot during the Cardinals

Ball State sophomore center Trey Moses has been announced as a 2017 Allstate National Association of Basketball Coaches (NABC) and Women’s Basketball Coaches Association (WBCA) Good Works Team nominee.

The NABC and WBCA along with Allstate Insurance Company announced last week a record high 278 college basketball players nominated for the award.

The award honors student-athletes who are heavily involved in various areas of community service and leadership among their peers.

Athletes were nominated by athletic departments and sports information directors throughout the country.

Moses’ passion is volunteering with those who have Down Syndrome. He gained internet fame when pictures surfaced of him asking Ellie, a girl with Down Syndrome from his high school, to prom using Taylor Swift Lyrics.  Moses is involved with Best Buddies, a program that pairs people with special-needs buddies. The special education major befriended Ball State's Riley Dance Marathon fan favorite Mickey Deputy, an 18-year-old who has Down Syndrome and is Moses' biggest fan.

Read the full story of Mickey and Trey by Elizabeth Wyman

“It’s big for me. Whether I win or not, it allows me to have this big stage to show off what I do and raise awareness for what I do,” Moses said.

Two voting panels led by former Duke University basketball player and NBA player Grant Hill and Notre Dame basketball player and current WNBA player Skylar Diggins will select 10 athletes for the NABC and WBCA consisting of five athletes from Division I and five athletes from Division II, III and the NAIA.

Finalists will be invited to the 2017 NABC Convention and 2017 NCAA Men's Final Four in Phoenix, Arizona. The student-athletes will participate in a community service project in the Phoenix area.

in the 2016-17 season, Moses has started all eight games and is averaging eight points and seven rebounds per game.