Ball State men's basketball Trey Moses eyes most improved player

Center, Trey Moses (41) and Evan Hall (24) battle for the ball after an attempted lay up from Hall on Saturday, December 3 at Worthen Arena in Muncie, IN. Grace Hollars // DN

Trey Moses season comparison (through nine games)

2015-16 season               2016-17 season

Points: 5.9                            Points: 9.7

Rebounds: 4.3                     Rebounds: 8.2

Assists: 1.7                          Assists: 2.3

Correction: A previous version of this article stated that Moses wanted to "win most improved player in the Mid-American Conference." The MAC does not have a most improved player award.

Sophomore center Trey Moses had one individual goal coming into the 2016-17 men’s basketball season. 

He wanted to be the most improved player in the Mid-American Conference, and over the last six games, he has the numbers that would indicate a drastic improvement.

“If I can keep rebounding the ball the way I am — I only averaged like five rebounds last year — if I can get into double digit and double digit points, I feel like that’s a big step from where I was last year,” Moses said.

In Moses' freshman season, he averaged 5.9 points, 4.3 rebounds, 1.7 assists and one block per game. He played in 35 games and started in nine of those. 

Moses really began showing his potential toward the end of last season when the Cardinals played in the CollegeInsider.com Invitational Tournament. Falling to Columbia in the quarterfinals. Moses led the team with a then-career high 15 points and four rebounds.

Over the last six games, Moses is averaging 10.8 points, 10.6 rebounds and 2.8 assists per game, including a new career high 17 points in a win against Bradley on Dec 6.

Head coach James Whitford said Moses has improved in nearly every aspect.

“He’s better in every category. He’s really developing," Whitford said. "You forget he just turned 19 two months ago, and 18 months ago he was 275 pounds."

The 6-foot-9 Louisville native now weighs 245 pounds and has increased his muscle mass.

“He really started out the year in bang buster in practice in the first four weeks,” Whitford said. “He’s a better low post scorer. He’s more experienced. He’s more athletic. You watch him jump now and get some dunks now that he could have never got a year ago.”

Moses said he feels comfortable and confident at this point in the season and that the six-game home stand the Cardinals are in the midst of will be crucial for the team's improvement.

“We're not where we want to be, but we're slowly getting there. Practices are going well. We’re just waiting to translate that into the game,” Moses said. “This stretch where we have six straight home games, that will help us get where we want to be for MAC play.”

Whitford has high hopes for the development of Moses and the other young players on the team, like redshirt freshman Tahjai Teague, who has produced a spark off the bench for the Cardinals.

“He’s still just scratching the surface of who he can be,” Whitford said.