Dance department seniors to showcase choreography projects, capstone

Dancers perfom in Mollie Craun's senior piece entitled Unfaltering on Oct. 28 in the Ball Gymnasium.

What: Senior Choreography Projects

Where: Korsgaard Dance Studio in Ball Gymnasium

When: 7:30 p.m. Dec. 9; 2:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. Dec. 10; 2:30 p.m. Dec. 11

Cost: $5 general admission at the door

Ball State Theatre and Dance is preparing to present the Senior Choreography Projects, a capstone for department seniors.

The show will take place at 7:30 p.m. Dec. 9 in the Korsgaard Dance Studio. There will be additional showings at 2:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. on Dec. 10 and 2:30 p.m. on Dec. 11. 

The seniors have been working on the production for this show since the beginning of the semester. The department held auditions the Sunday before school started, and each choreographer got three hours of rehearsal each week throughout the semester.

Samantha Conte, a senior dance major, has choreographed her own piece titled “Equilibrium.” She was also in charge of publicity for this show.

“This year, I had the opportunity to collaborate with Adam Crawley on my music…and what he created gave me the inspiration I was looking for to move forward with my choreography," Conte said. 

There are nine choreographers in this show, and two of the nine choreographers will be performing in their pieces. The dancers for the show are other dance majors in the department. 

“Without the dancers, I would have nothing but steps. Without them, the space would still be empty with nothing but my thoughts. They make the dance a reality,” Conte said. 

After the initial showing and receiving feedback from dance faculty, the seniors are then given an hour and a half to work with the stage managers and the lighting designers to set the lights for the piece and practice with light cues. 

Amanda Boldt, a senior musical theater major, was assigned to help out with the show a month prior to the showing. 

“I think lights are easily overlooked by an audience but give off the overall aura of whatever piece is being performed. Color and directionality of the lights affects how the dancers are seen, visually and emotionally,” she said.

Boldt also loved getting to work with the choreographers and hearing the story behind their work because “they put a lot of heart and soul into their pieces.” 

This show is not affiliated with the Immersive Learning Dance Class but is considered a part of the Senior Capstone Project. Though it's common for the students to collaborate, each worked individually for this show.

“Overall, we, the students, are responsible for creating the show, but we have the faculty along the way to keep everything on track," Boldt said. "From a lighting designer perspective, it was easy to base the decisions off of the movement and the feeling of each piece."

Conte said that her piece in particular was more about giving the viewers “the freedom to make their own conclusion and feel whatever the piece naturally makes them feel.”