Ball State men's golf signs recruit

<p>CJ Jones, a senior at Franklin County High School, officially signed his letter of intent to play for the Ball State Men's Golf team next fall. Jones has been playing golf since he was a toddler and competed in his first tournament at the age of six.&nbsp;<i style="font-size: 14px;">CJ Jones Facebook // Photo Courtesy</i></p>

CJ Jones, a senior at Franklin County High School, officially signed his letter of intent to play for the Ball State Men's Golf team next fall. Jones has been playing golf since he was a toddler and competed in his first tournament at the age of six. CJ Jones Facebook // Photo Courtesy

CJ Jones awards

2015 1st Team KHSAA All State

2014 2nd Team KHSAA All StateĀ 

2014 1st Team Academic All StateĀ 

Ball State men's golf will have a new member next year after CJ Jones signed his letter of intent to play for the Cardinals next fall. 

He said he picked Ball State after seeing campus and sitting down with coach Mike Fleck.

"I could see myself getting an education at Ball State," Jones said, "And knowing that Coach Fleck has been there for 19 years and will most likely be there for my four years helped." 

During his career at Franklin County (Ky.) High School, Jones had six state tournament appearances and won the individual state championship as a junior. He has also placed in summer tournaments that he has taken part in. In 2012, Jones played in five Kentucky Junior Golf Foundation events and he averaged a score of 77 over those tournaments. Just this year, Jones played in the MGDT Classic and placed third with scores of 78 and 79 over the two day tournament.

He started to play high-school golf as a sixth grader at South Warren High School in Bowling Green, Kentucky, before he transferred to Franklin County in Frankfort, Kentucky, his sophomore year. He credits his success to that three-year head start.

"Most people just go out there for fun and treat it like a hobby," Jones said. "But for me -- sixth, seventh and eighth grade -- having that experience helped my game coming into high school."

At the 2015 Kentucky Junior Amateur Championship, Jones had scores of 70 and 72 to finish the two-day tournament in third place at two under par. 

Jones currently averages a score of 76.18 per 18 holes and carries a 2.3 handicap. He stressed that the goal for the team is to make the NCAA Tournament in May and get some early playing time as a freshman.

"I feel like with my game overall, I can get in there once school starts and make an immediate impact on the team, " Jones said.

Jones is set to join the team in the fall of 2017.