Ball State falls to Alabama in second game of MGM Grand Main Event

Ball State's forward Franko House attempts to score a layup during the game against Indiana State on Nov. 15 in Worthen Arena. The Cardinals lost 74-80. Grace Ramey // DN

Ball State box score leaders

Points: Tayler Persons (15)

Rebounds: Tahjai Teague (11)

Assists: Tahjai Teague (2), Francis Kiapway (2)

Blocks: Tahjai Teague (2), Kyle Mallers (2)

In the second game of the MGM Grand Main Event tournament, the Ball State men's basketball team (1-2) traveled south to the University of Alabama (2-1) Nov. 18. 

The Cardinals, coming off of an overtime loss to Indiana State, couldn't  slow down the Crimson tide’s shooting falling 77-59.

Ball State kept the game close in the first half only being down two, 16-14 around the 10-minute mark. Then Alabama’s shooters caught fire.

Alabama sophomore guard Avery Johnson Jr., junior guard Ar’mond Davis and senior forward Shannon Hale for Alabama all connected on 3-point shots in a span of four minutes, giving the Tide a 27-18 lead with seven minutes left in the first half.

Ball State sophomore forward Tahjai Teague heaved up a three to end the half and got fouled in the process. Teague connected on all three free throws cutting the lead to 10 going into halftime.

The shots were not falling for Ball State in a game in which they needed to make some extra baskets to catch up to Alabama. The Cardinals shot just 23.5 percent from beyond the arc making only four shots from beyond the 3-point line.

Eight minutes into the second half Alabama’s hot shooting led them to a 55-35 lead over Ball State. The Crimson Tide shot 42 percent from the field and 52 percent from the 3-point line and had 59 points from their bench.

Leading scorer for Ball State was sophomore guard Tayler Persons with 15 points, but he had zero assists on the night.

Sophomore forward Trey Moses continued his improvement, scoring 12 points and grabbing three rebounds. In the loss to Indiana State, Moses had 10 points and three rebounds.

Ball State will continue play in the MGM Grand Main Event as they travel to the MGM Grand in Las Vegas to take on Coppin State Nov. 21 and Southern Utah Nov. 23.