THE SILVEY LINING: Add 'The Edge of Seventeen' to great high school-based movies

Curtis Silvey is a junior photojournalism major and writes "The Silvey Lining" for the Daily News. His views do not necessarily agree with those of the newspaper. Write to Curtis at clsilvey@bsu.edu.

When it comes to some high school-based films, those like "The Breakfast Club," "Ferris Bueller’s Day Off," "Napoleon Dynamite," "Mean Girls" and "Juno" have left their mark in the movie industry and pop culture alike. On Nov. 18, another great high school based-movie was added to that list, and that was "The Edge of Seventeen."

"The Edge of Seventeen" is a coming-of-age story about Nadine Byrd, an awkward seventeen-year-old “wallflower," whose unbearable world hits rock bottom once when she finds out her older brother, who’s at the complete opposite of the social spectrum, is dating her best friend Krista. 

Curtis Silvey

With some guidance from her extremely sarcastic teacher Mr. Bruner, Nadine must now deal with the fact that her friend is dating her brother, but thinks she might have found the silver lining with her awkward admirer Erwin Kim.

"The Edge of Seventeen" stars Hailee Steinfeld ("True Grit," "Pitch Perfect 2") as Nadine Byrd, Haley Lu Richardson ("The Last Survivors," "The Bronze") as Krista, Blake Jenner ("Everybody wants Some!!," "Glee") as Darian Byrd, Woody Harrelson ("The Hunger Games" series, "Now You See Me," "Zombieland") as Mr. Bruner, Kyra Sedgwick ("The Possession," "The Closer") as Mona Byrd, and Hayden Szeto as Erwin Kim.

I remember when my friend sent me the trailer for this movie through Facebook around January and thinking, “I can’t wait to see this movie.” And luckily for me, this movie met my expectations and more. 

The movie is labeled as a comedy-drama and it doesn’t fail to disappoint. The strong sarcasm that radiates from Steinfeld’s character is matched with that of Harrison’s natural sense of sarcasm that he has in a lot of his other movies. 

The beautiful thing about this movie was that it wasn’t too heavy or lacking when it came to the comedy or drama, and it’s always a breath of fresh air to watch a lower-budgeted movie. 

Sure, the comedic aspect was spread out more throughout the movie than the dramatic moments, but those moments really hit the feels when they showed up.

I feel like a lot of people, me included, can relate to Nadine to some extent when they were in their teens, which really helps the movie connect to the audience. Most of us were there at some point in our teens, or now, where you just feel like you have problem after problem and you never seem to win.  

There may be a good size group of people who relate to a lot of what Nadine was going through in the movie. Nevertheless, this was a beautifully funny movie that I’m positive a lot of people could relate to and enjoy the little things about it.